Busted cam bolt 07 WR450

Just wondering if it's at all common to break a cam cap bolt when retorquing it, or if I'm just a huge idiot. I had one break off just above the threads as I mistakenly tried to get it to 10 ft/lbs...I wouldn't think 3 extra ft/lbs would do that much damage. Are these replace vs reuse?

Also had a hard time figuring out exactly how to get the intake cam postioned back in the head - finally just slid the main bearing up against the ridge in the head. Maybe related to my bolt breakage?

When the spec calls for 7.2 ft/lbs , going over by almost half and in aluminum to boot is just begging for trouble. Specs are there for a reason and they need to be followed unless you like to buy new parts a lot. Most of the lower value torque wrenches don't go low enough for that small of a torque. Buy or borrow an inch/lb torque wrench and do the math. The bolts are a reuse item if they aren't stretched or broken. Also you may have had trouble getting the cam caps to bolt down because of the clip possibly being out of position, the cam chain tensioner not being backed off etc. The manual can be downloaded for free if you don't have one, Sounds like you need to slow down your engine service a bit so you don't end up with major engine damage. WR Dave

Just as a precaution I usually go a pound lighter on the torque setting if its somewhere that will be a bitch to get the broken bolt out.

When the spec calls for 7.2 ft/lbs , going over by almost half and in aluminum to boot is just begging for trouble. Specs are there for a reason and they need to be followed unless you like to buy new parts a lot. Most of the lower value torque wrenches don't go low enough for that small of a torque. Buy or borrow an inch/lb torque wrench and do the math. The bolts are a reuse item if they aren't stretched or broken. Also you may have had trouble getting the cam caps to bolt down because of the clip possibly being out of position, the cam chain tensioner not being backed off etc. The manual can be downloaded for free if you don't have one, Sounds like you need to slow down your engine service a bit so you don't end up with major engine damage. WR Dave

Well, based on the fact that I do have the manual, cause I bought the bike new, I think that answers my question - I AM a huge idiot. Really, just thought I remembered reading 10 ft/lb...but of course, one tends to re-read after breaking stuff, huh?

Luckily, I was actually able to spin the remainder of the bolt back out with the cap off. And no aluminum came with it. I guess better to realize my mistakes now, vs 30 miles into the woods.