HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxrider10001

how to set the counter balance assebly

2 posts in this topic

my 03 yzf450 counter balance assembly is set wrong and im not sure how to assemble it i know that one dot on the gear lines up with the other gear next to it but there is another dot on the gear that lines up with something but i cant figure out to what there is no visual marks to line up. so the counter shaft must to one way and the gear goes the opposite up and down im guessing????? any advice ppl im lostttt

Start by downloading a service manual:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

Then look at page 4-64. With the crank at TDC, there will be a "key spline" at 12:00 o'clock on the crank. By that, I mean one that is shorter than the others. This is so that the balancer drive gear can only go on one way, and there's a mark on the inside diameter of the gear to indicate which spline goes there. If the gear is on the crank, with the marked side out, it's on correctly.

Setting the crank at TDC, you'll find a marked tooth at 3:00 o'clock. Set the balancer gear so that the mark on the edge aligns with the mark on the crank gear, dot to dot. That's all there is to it.