HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
czechalien

buying new 2009 YZ450F....oil changes

6 posts in this topic

Buying new 2009 YZ450F (not enough $$$ for 2010 :banana:) anyway, what oil and how often do you guys change yours?

I have a 2006 YZ450F and I change oil every ride no matter how many hours I put on, using cheap advance auto parts 10W-40.

I run the Amsoil 10 40 MCF and I just use a K&N paper oil filter every 3 rides. I always put fresh oil and filter in the bike if I am planning on going to a motocross track to better handle the abuse.

i use castrol actevo syn blend (says made for mc wet clutch and shared gearbox) 10-40 in winter and 20-50 in summer. Stock filter, saving up for scotts stainless, and change it every other ride(usually about 3-5 hrs). Its $4.99 a quart at cycle gear. Comes out still golden and fresh everytime. Its verry slippery and forms what looks like beads when poured into a funnel. When i drop it out of the motor after some time it still feels, looks, and smells good. Truly as long as you run an mc oil, and as long as its changed often youre good. Some even run rotella.

Evrytime I change oil even after one hour it's pretty black, I don't know why.

I used the Castrol from Cycle Gear for long time, but someone said just use cheap oil and change it every ride, so I'm doing it.

But with the new bike I want to make sure I break it in properly and use good oil.

Evrytime I change oil even after one hour it's pretty black, I don't know why.

I used the Castrol from Cycle Gear for long time, but someone said just use cheap oil and change it every ride, so I'm doing it.

Your cheap oil is oxidizing and/or reacting badly with the fuel residue it comes in contact with. Use a better oil.

I use Amsoil MCF and MCV (varies with temperature), and a Scotts oil filter , and I change oil and clean the filter every second or third ride day.