Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bush_rider

'03 exhaust cam in '99 wr400

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but i seached it and didn't get any answers. So, will the exhaust cam from a 2003 wr426 fit in a 1999 wr400? It is wanted for the auto de-comp. If not, will a hot cams cam have the auto de-comp? Also if it will fit whats a good way to plug up the hole for the de-comp cable once it is removed?

Thanks for any help.

Yes it will fit. The install procedure is a little non-standard i.e. - cam timing marks don't line up, thicker shims required to set the clearance but once done it works fine. Do search on TT and you'll find instructions on how to set it up. I tried putting the Hotcams exhaust cam in my 426 with the stock intake cam. The result was it took away almost all of the bottom end grunt. Hated it! I imagine it will be different if you go with the Hotcams intake as well.

here is a link to a plug.... i am sure there are others, the tt store used to sell them. iirc a member here makes them... will have to do some digging..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-HEAD-PLUG-YFZ450-YZF-450-YZ426-YZ400-HEAD-PLUG_W0QQitemZ290398581861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439d1ab465

here is the info on the tt member

The original supplier of the ones sold here on TT still has a few of the bolt-in billet plugs, too. PM or e-mail TT member Vibeguy.

Edited by jhendr3702
added tt member

Yes it will fit. The install procedure is a little non-standard i.e. - cam timing marks don't line up, thicker shims required to set the clearance but once done it works fine. Do search on TT and you'll find instructions on how to set it up. I tried putting the Hotcams exhaust cam in my 426 with the stock intake cam. The result was it took away almost all of the bottom end grunt. Hated it! I imagine it will be different if you go with the Hotcams intake as well.

So what is the hot set up? Mostly desert and technical trails.

The 03 YZ OEM cam or the WR Cam or the Hot Cams?

Thanks

I put the YZ cam in my WR450

Did not notice any loss on bottom end, it just ripped all over