Contemplating trading my 250 smoker for a 426

Just like the thread title stated! I have a lot of time and money invested in my yz for single track use and lately I have wanted something different. A guy contacted me and wants to trade even up for my yz. I understand that there is a lot more involved in a thumper and that is one of the reasons that I am, how you say, a little hesitant. My bike has about 20 hours on a total rebuild and runs like a champ. The 426 is cammed (webber I think is the cam manufacturer), has a wiseco pro lite piston (97mm, which I believe makes it a 444cc), recent valve inspection within the last month or two, full exhaust, ported head, comes with a service manual and random stuff like that. Another thing is that how is the bike in the woods? Any overheating concerns compared to a two stroke and is it easily avoided with engine ice? The model looks pretty resilient compared to the other brands of two strokes and he also stated that he replaced the stock valves with kibblewhite black diamond valves, which might be another selling point for me. I am not a small person and I am pretty sure that I can handle the extra bit of weight compared to my yz, which has a desert tank on it anyways. One other thing is that I would like to throw my trans kit off a wr 426 in to get something a little wider ratio (loved it in my 250) and get a tank/seat combo off a wr. How easy is it to swap the stator/lighting coil off a wr onto the bike? I also plan to bolt on my 18" wheel on it. I guess that I want to get rid of my yz/wr 250 and get a yz426f and make it to a yz/wr 426f. Thanks for any direction you can steer me in and any other suggestions that you can give. My wife cannot believe that I just want to get rid of the yz after all the money and time I put into it......women.....

I came for the land of the 250 2 smokes and stepped up to a 01 YZ426F. That was the best thing that I ever did. The 4 strokes make unbelievable power, they are very nimble, no more mixing gas, don't have to carry spare spark plugs and wrenches any more, and have the torque to lug or rip up whatevery you want. I will never own another 2 stroke and seems kinda weird to say that because I had such a love for them growing up. My 01 YZ although is nearly 10 years old and I have no plans to ever get rid of it!! All of this is just my opinion and I am sure that some will disagree....but probably not too many.:banana:

I loved my old 00 426 in the woods, wish I still had it and not this ill-handling 06 honestly. I would skip the WR trans and go 13/52 gearing, you should be happy. If the YZ has a desert tank on it I'd forget about the WR tank. I'd go for it if it were me.

I loved my old 00 426 in the woods, wish I still had it and not this ill-handling 06 honestly. I would skip the WR trans and go 13/52 gearing, you should be happy. If the YZ has a desert tank on it I'd forget about the WR tank. I'd go for it if it were me.

I also run a 13/52 with a 13oz FWW. Perfect combo for woods riding! Most all of my riding is technical woods and hill climbs. I have never had an overheating problem. If you keep the bike moving any at all it won't get hot. If you plan on stopping for more and 30 seconds just turn it off and it will be fine. Mine has the stock YZ fuel tank and has always been more than enough. Make the swap...your gonna like it.:banana::banana:

I also run a 13/52 with a 13oz FWW. Perfect combo for woods riding! Most all of my riding is technical woods and hill climbs. I have never had an overheating problem. If you keep the bike moving any at all it won't get hot. If you plan on stopping for more and 30 seconds just turn it off and it will be fine. Mine has the stock YZ fuel tank and has always been more than enough. Make the swap...your gonna like it.:banana::banana:

I never put a FWW on my 426 and never felt I needed it. The only time I ever boiled it was when following a youngster on a TT-R 90. And I do really miss the stock fuel capacity of my 426 compared to my 450?

I have a YZ400F and a CR250R 2 smoke. I actually really enjoy riding both of them as they are quite different bikes to ride. I find the CR actually improves my riding overall because I need to stay more focused to ride it whereas the YZ is a much lazier ride due to the fantastic power spread (pulls from idle to the rev limiter) and the engine braking effect.

If I had the choice, honestly, I am not sure which one I would part with.

You will not be dissappointed with the YZ, great reliability and easy to ride. I agree with the previous comment about not changing the transmission as I think you will find the close ratio box of the YZ actually is better in most trail situations as it allows for easier gear changing. As suggested, you can gear to go slower or faster by changing the front/rear sprockets.

I got 14/52 gearing now on my smoker and can't wait to change it to 13/52. All I ride is woods and technical slow mo trails. I posted in your other thread too. I got the same itch and went and got a used 2007 YZ250F. The comparison begins this summer and then one has to go.? Feed the itch, you know you want to. :banana: Women will never understand so just do it anyway. :banana:

Yeah shrub, I just think it is time for something different! I figure that I would post in both sections to get opinions and ideas from both sides of the fence. Some people say...."they are heavy and overheat" and other people say, "while they may be a bit on the porker side, if they are jetted and properly maintained, they make a great trail bike" so that is a good reason for getting the opinions of different people. My wife still shakes her head thinking I have a screw loose......

Another nice thing is that some of the parts that I have will transfer right on it! I am planning for the 18", my WER stabilizer and mount, bark busters, wr426 trans, wr coolant recovery bottle (should fit a ton better than on my yz with custom mounts) and the small little stuff here and there.......

Another nice thing is that some of the parts that I have will transfer right on it! I am planning for the 18", my WER stabilizer and mount, bark busters, wr426 trans, wr coolant recovery bottle (should fit a ton better than on my yz with custom mounts) and the small little stuff here and there.......

Mine too. 07 YZ250 to 07 YZ250F. Lots of stuff fits. My upper triple clamp, shark fin, suspension, kickstand, extra air filters/brake pads/chain/sprockets, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in 2001 I was vet racing my trusted '97 KX250, and loved that ol girl. I did well on it as too. However "vet open" class is just that run whatever cc's you want. I quickly realized I was getting my a$$ handed to me at the drop of the gate from those pesky torquey 426's. Many riders on the 426's would quickly fatigue themselves half way through the race and I "could" get by them, but the fit riders were just killing us old 2 stroke farts. I found myself pushing my abilities beyond my old fart comfort zone every sunday just to keep up. They my a$$ hole riding buddy buys a new 2002 YZ426 and I race it a few times, and I was done. I had to have a 4 stroke. Stupid me, I wanted versatility, so I bought a WR250F. The bike sucked for what I needed to achieve. Now I have an '07 YZ450F, and it's the perfect bike for me in every way. This is the last bike I need to own. It's kinda funny how riders comment the 450's make "unbelievable" hp, when in fact they are not that much faster the 250's at the novice and amatuer ranks IMO especially on smaller tracks. The magic with the 450's is the way they efficiently put the broad TORQUE into the dirt. 250 2 strokes will forever be the king of "nimble" as far as handling which is a big positive for woods racing, but for simply sheer versatile "fun factor" you can't beat a 450F !