HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcm3

2001 YZ426 not starting

2 posts in this topic

I last rode it about three weeks ago, and went to start it as I do every few weeks, and am getting nothing. I didn't really have the time to check the things that I will check soon, but it was running fine a few weeks ago when I last took it out.

It's a first kick starter about 9 times out of 10, and I usually only have difficulties with it when I either crash or when I stall it while riding. Then, once in awhile it can be a real bear to start. I have the starting ritual down pretty well.

It seems like the spark plug cap isn't 'clicking' in like it should, and seems like it is just loosely in place. That's the first thing I'll check next weekend.

Just venting because I can't get to it until next weekend... :banana:

It was one of two things, both really dumb.

I pulled the plug, and it was pretty dark. I replaced it, and seated down the spark plug boot all the way.

If it was the plug, I'd be suprised because I think the plug that was in it when I bought it was a few years old, and the tank of gas was very old also. The plug that was I just replaced had two rides on it or so.

If the boot came unseated a bit, I'm not sure how that could have happened. I'll have to keep an eye on that. To me, it doesn't feel like it snaps in like I expect plug wires to.

Either way, it fired up in the first kick, twice:cheers:

Next steps are the JD jet kit, and I'm going to redo the piston and rings, timing chain, and put in a Hot Cams exhaust side cam.