2008 250 xcfw problems please help!

Ok so i just went halfway across america to pick up my new 08 KTM 250 xcfw it only has 1 hour on it and i got it for 5,000$ but this guy who i bought it from started it up and rode it for a hour and then left it sitting for 7 months now i know it runs because it runs on the choke and i can start it up but when i turn off the choke it dies. he said that ethanol residue has gotten on the needle and we just have to spray it with compressed air but my dad doesnt want to take it apart because its over 1000$ to get a new one! anyone know what i can do im thinking of putting gumout carb cleaner and just lettin it run? what do ya think?

Sounds like your jetting (idle jet) might be gummed up/plugged up from sitting.

Take them out, clean them up good and re-install. While you are in there, clean and inspect your float and and accelerator pump.

No need to purchase a whole new carb....just a little TLC is what it most likely needs.

Sounds like your jetting (idle jet) might be gummed up/plugged up from sitting.

Take them out, clean them up good and re-install. While you are in there, clean and inspect your float and and accelerator pump.

No need to purchase a whole new carb....just a little TLC is what it most likely needs.

+1

Pilot jet is probably plugged. Pull the carb, flush all the ports and clean up the jets. You should be good to go. I would rejet anyway as they are super lean. I have the JD kit and a merge ALJ in my 08 and works great once it is dialed in.:banana:

it is just a gummed up carb...very easy follow your manual.

all fuels today evaporate quickly and leave a horrible varnish that gums up everything.

in the old days if you could get it started, once you ran it a while the new fuel would eat away the varnish residue, but not now days. the residue is tougher than the new fuel so it will not clear after a while like years gone buy.

you have to take it apart and clean it with carb cleaner

The pilot is clogged, common problem when they sit. The pilot and main come out the bottom without taking the carb apart so tell dad not to worry. Rotate the carb and maybe you can get them out, but it is easier if you remove the carb first. Use a fine single strand of copper wire from a multi strand electrical wire to run thru the tiny holes. This will open them up and it will work fine then. Running cleaner thru the carb wont do it alone, the jets have to come out. Its a dirt bike and dad needs to know it takes work to keep it running. Dont be afraid of this jet thing, its easy.

ya i forgot to check this before i tried something else... i put this stuff called seafoam in it that is supposed to clear it instantly but when i put it in and ran it for a lil bit the pipe started glowing orange like really hot orange! can this pilot jet cause the radiators not to work and can anyone help me i have no idea how to clean the "jets" or whatever you guys are talking about i dont know anything about carbs. Thanks for the info but i have no idea how to do that and is the orange pipe really bad does the main jet clogged do that?

Ok so i just went halfway across america to pick up my new 08 KTM 250 xcfw it only has 1 hour on it and i got it for 5,000$ but this guy who i bought it from started it up and rode it for a hour and then left it sitting for 7 months now i know it runs because it runs on the choke and i can start it up but when i turn off the choke it dies. he said that ethanol residue has gotten on the needle and we just have to spray it with compressed air but my dad doesnt want to take it apart because its over 1000$ to get a new one! anyone know what i can do im thinking of putting gumout carb cleaner and just lettin it run? what do ya think?

btw...if your bike is an xcfw then it is a twin cam motor if it is an xcw then it is the single cam model..

im not throwing you outta here, but if it is the twin cam bike, your best bet for info is gonna be on the sx/xcf 250/450/505 forum.

we are all always happy to help out whoever needs it, but the guys in the twin cam forum will definately know idiosyncracies and tricks to help you out that most of us who ride the single cam motors wont know.

the carbs are almost exactly the same, so the info on this thread will apply either way.:banana:

ya i forgot to check this before i tried something else... i put this stuff called seafoam in it that is supposed to clear it instantly but when i put it in and ran it for a lil bit the pipe started glowing orange like really hot orange! can this pilot jet cause the radiators not to work and can anyone help me i have no idea how to clean the "jets" or whatever you guys are talking about i dont know anything about carbs. Thanks for the info but i have no idea how to do that and is the orange pipe really bad does the main jet clogged do that?

Yes, A clogged pilot will make your pipe turn red. Your running SUPER lean which heats up the engine and header. No, its not a clogged exhaust. Pull the jets, clean the jets put her back together set your fuel scew, idle to base settings per the manual and you will be fine.

Take a look at this link... http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm Read the entire thing. Its from a yamaha forum but its on the FCR Carb. This will give you a basic understanding of how a carb works and how to tune the FCR .

I already told you how to do the jets????? Its very easy.

The pipe turning colors is cuz it got hot, you know that. Why it got hot could be one or two things or both. It could be cuz its jetted lean. If you had the choke on then that removes the pilot jet from the equation, it bypasses the pilot circuit, thats why it runs with choke on.

But more likely is cuz it was sitting while running and had no airflow over the rads to cool the bike. It has no fan to cool the rads so it must be moving so the air can go thru the rads to draw the heat out. Next time you are going to run it for an extended time like this get a house fan and turn it on high and direct the air thru the front of the rads. Just like they do it at the shop.

just called my local shop and they said that it is the jettng and the jets as you guys said. But if i use the JD jet kit which i hear is the best. will it clean the jets and jet it? What is the best jet kit? and what is the best settings for trail riding? im sorry guys but i jsut got a KTM and my dad wants me to wait a week to bring it to a shop!!! :banana:

just called my local shop and they said that it is the jettng and the jets as you guys said. But if i use the JD jet kit which i hear is the best. will it clean the jets and jet it? What is the best jet kit? and what is the best settings for trail riding? im sorry guys but i jsut got a KTM and my dad wants me to wait a week to bring it to a shop!!! :banana:

There is no need to take your bike to the shop! Repeat that after me! Look at your owners manual so you can see where the different jets are that we mentioned. All are accessed through the bottom of your carb...except for your needle.

So...take your tank off (2 minutes) loosen the carb boots while sitting on shift lever side. Twist carb top toward you and you can get to the needle to "raise or lower" or put in the JD needle with clip in 3rd position. Button back up and rotate the carb the other way so you can see the 17mm bolt...pull that off (gas will come out) and remove the main jet (MJ) and pilot. Examine the pilot very closely and and if there is any doubt, any at all...replace it. Those holes are very easily to plug and hard to clean. Now follow the JD kit and replace the MJ with what they recommended. Screw the 17mm back in and fire her up...

30-45 minutes tops...providing you study the pictures to see what screws to remove, etc....

to replace the main jet does that come in the Jd jet kit and do all the other jets replacment come in the kit? does anyone know any videos showin me how to do it on the same carb?