Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

'01 426 has severe cough

2 posts in this topic

Originally posted by vznx1w:

The magazines all say that the cough is gone on the '01 bikes, but my new bike coughes so bad that I killed it, while exiting turns, 5 or 6 times the first day I rode it. As reference point, I never experienced this problem on my buddy's '00 model, so I don't think its due to some quirk in my riding style. I richened up the pilot (2 turns fuel screw/ #48 jet)) and helped it enough to prevent stalling (it will still stumble if I deliberately whack the throttle open). However, now it wants to foul plugs. Since the jet change, I've averaged one ride per plug. I'm planning on playing with the accelerator pump adjustment as described in this site's other postings, but I'm perplexed as to why my bike seems a step backwards from the '00 model that I have previously ridden. Has any one else noticed this with their '01?

* I have owned a '99,'00 and now an '01 426. I feel that the '01 is the best one yet. Way better than my '00. The '00 would hesitate badly when opening the throttle in turns. The '01 is just about perfect. My rejetted '99 was way better than the '00.

The magazines all say that the cough is gone on the '01 bikes, but my new bike coughes so bad that I killed it, while exiting turns, 5 or 6 times the first day I rode it. As reference point, I never experienced this problem on my buddy's '00 model, so I don't think its due to some quirk in my riding style. I richened up the pilot (2 turns fuel screw/ #48 jet)) and helped it enough to prevent stalling (it will still stumble if I deliberately whack the throttle open). However, now it wants to foul plugs. Since the jet change, I've averaged one ride per plug. I'm planning on playing with the accelerator pump adjustment as described in this site's other postings, but I'm perplexed as to why my bike seems a step backwards from the '00 model that I have previously ridden. Has any one else noticed this with their '01?