HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxdirtking

Valve Lifter Stuck!!!

10 posts in this topic

I have an 04 yz450f and im adjusting the valves on it and a got to the valve lifters and there is one that wont come off! Its the middle intake valve lifter. I tryed a stronger magnet, heating it up, tapping it to maybe get it loose or something but have had no luck at all with it. You can spin it but it just doesnt want to pull out like its suction in there. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

a really really strong magnet?

magnets have always worked for me in the past

Check to see if the cam journal has mushroomed out just enough to keep the bucket from lifting out. If it has, you can carefully file off the mushroomed bit, but then you definitely need to determine what caused it.

Check to see if the cam journal has mushroomed out just enough to keep the bucket from lifting out. If it has, you can carefully file off the mushroomed bit, but then you definitely need to determine what caused it.

That is exactly what I was about to say.

Yeah that is what happened i had to push the valve down and i took 600 grit sandpaper with some oil on it and sanded it down and worked it out. Now it slides in and out a lot lot better.

Now i need to know why it did that. It wasn't to bad but it was enough to make it catch. The exhaust cam journal was perfect. Anybody have an ideas why its rubbing before i put it back togather.

Thanks

Now i need to know why it did that. It wasn't to bad but it was enough to make it catch. The exhaust cam journal was perfect. Anybody have an ideas why its rubbing before i put it back togather.

Thanks

That is generally caused by over tightening the cam cap bolts, or overheating the engine. Yamaha uses a tighter clearance on the cam journals than any other brand, and personally I think the cam cap torque recommendation is a hair too high to begin with. Make sure your torque wrench is very accurate.

...personally I think the cam cap torque recommendation is a hair too high to begin with. Make sure your torque wrench is very accurate.
I agreed with that when I did the first one I ever worked on. Considering the fact that the threads call for being oiled, 75 inch pounds (6.25 ft/lb) is as far as I go with them. That's tight enough.