WR400F 2002?? What's the history on this bike?

Hi Guys, my cousin just got a WR400F and it says 2002 in the title, is this possible? I've been looking but there appear to be no production 2002's...

Will it be a 426?

What sign's should we look for in a 400? THANKS!

Edited by sameoldme

Look at the front of the cylinder under the exhaust port. You'll find the displacement mark there.

Hi Guys, my cousin just got a WR400F and it says 2002 in the title, is this possible? I've been looking but there appear to be no production 2002's...

Will it be a 426?

What sign's should we look for in a 400? THANKS!

2000 was the last year for the 400. Sounds like the title is incorrect. Either it's a 98 -00 or it's a 426.

the 02 wr was a 400, the 02 yz was a 426.. the wr's always seem to be a year behind the yz's... they are good bikes, the 426 and the 400 came stock with a manual decomp lever that takes a little getting used to (or change to a hot cam auto decomp )

have the owner show you how to start it and make sure it starts good cold, then look it over as you would any used bike... talk to him about his maint. and make sure and get the manual..

Have to disagree on that. I owned an '01 WR426 and a '99 WR400. 2000 was the last year of 400's.

Have to disagree on that. I owned an '01 WR426 and a '99 WR400. 2000 was the last year of 400's.

you are correct .... trying to type and work

at my age... one thing at a time..... hit delete asoon as i posted sorry....

Edited by jhendr3702
2000 was the last year for the 400. Sounds like the title is incorrect. Either it's a 98 -00 or it's a 426.

Allrighty then!! I'll go take a closer look at the title myself... I know the facts now. THANKS GUYS!!

How good are these bikes? I did a quick test and it sure was the MX version of my XR, no doubt...

Any breakdowns that we should be aware of?

Thanks again..

The 426 is a very solid bike. Probably the most bullet proof of all the WR's.

my opinion is the 400 was the most bullet proof (because of the steel valves). The biggest maintainance issue this bike has is the carb. I've owned 2 YZ400's and 2 WR 400/426's. All of them came with accelerator pump issues, mostly due to weak springs (fixed with the O-ring mod), but two also had clogged passageways in the AP circuit.

OK, so we got an Edelbrock carb, the bike was smoking a little (white smoke) so we decided to do a piston and rings change...

We'll see how this one goes...

Anyone with an Edelbrock carb??

so is it a 400 or a 426???? what's the answer man!!??

I had 26,000 km's on the original engine in my wr400 when I sold it. It was running great.

so is it a 400 or a 426???? what's the answer man!!??

YUP it's a 400, title is wrong! well, shadetree mechanic installed the edelbrock carb and it won't start:banghead:, I think we'll go back to the stocker and then see what happens... :thumbsup:

The 426 is a very solid bike. Probably the most bullet proof of all the WR's.

I call shinanigans....on all 4 stroke yamahas...

I call shinanigans....on all 4 stroke yamahas...

Even TTR's?

The WRF/YZF requires similar maintainace as the 4-stoke KTM's and CRF's. I'm a fan of the early 400's because of the lower maintainance that the steel valves require.

But if you're compairing these modern engines to any of the older air cooled engines, they are not as reliable.

OKay my bad the ttrs I really like, I just am no were near a fan of the wr, yzf, and yfz... I would take a crf anyday compared to a yzf..sorry

Or all my friend and uncle both just have realllly bad luck

I love there 2 strokes on the other hand..

A CRF more reliable than a WR? That's a good one :thumbsup:

A CRF more reliable than a WR? That's a good one :lol:

I second that!:thumbsup:

Sorry ive just had rediculously good luck with them(crf) compared to the yzfs,

Meanwhile, back on the topic, the tenth character of the VIN number will tell you the year model. W, X, and Y were '98, '99, and 2000, respectively. 2001 is a "1", 2002 is a "2", and so on.

The displacement will be on the front of the cylinder, as stated earlier.

Allright, thanks guys for all the help figuring out this machine..

Well, we got it to a new very quiet but local hero mechanic, and he got'er running in a couple hours, valves and carb nedded a few adjustments..

Roars like a 450 and it has an FMF Q4 installed! We'll see how she goes on the next trail!

By the way, that same mechanic told us that it will take quite a while before any servicing for valves and such, so I guess it's very reliable as it is.. Maybe not as much as an air-cooled XR but a lot more than modern machines..