Carb spilling fuel please help

I installed my carb today. Turned the fuel on and fuel started spilling out the vent tube from bottom of carb bowl at a steady rate. This was with bike not running. I took the carb off and with float hanging I blew into fuel line and air went through. I pushed float up and blew and no air went through...so the float and needle are working. I also noticed that the vent tube on the bowl is attached to some long rod that goes way high into the carb. So what could be causing this. Thanks everyone.

Mike

This is a fairly common problem in older FCR carbs and is often due to a deteriorating O-ring around the float needle valve. They are easy to replace. These are very specialized Sudco O-rings, and sometimes difficult to find separately without buying a whole fairly expensive new float needle/valve assembly. Yamaha shops have these O-rings available separately now. We had one go out at Spangler Hills last week and the Honda shop in Ridgecrest,CA had them in stock in Yamaha labelled bags at $5 each.

ok. I just took the float off and the needle valve. What Oring are you referring to? There is none visible. The needle valve has the viton tip but I see no oring . I can see a bronze needle vavle seat but this is NON removable. Parts diagrahm shows an oring under the seat but again the seat is non removable in the 2004 Carb. Thanks.

The O-ring is on the needle seat. I am sure that the needle seat is replaceable on all FCR carbs. The needle seat is held in by a retainer. Unscrew the retainer, pull out the needle seat and replace the O-ring.

The needle seats are no l9nger removable since '04 I believe, so the O-ring leak isn't the issue. I think if you go here http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0 and download the service manual for your bike you should be good to go for the float height setting, which seems to be your issue. If you have it set too high it will not seal and you will overfill the float bowl. WR Dave

My needle seat on my 04 doesn't come off. I even took it to yamaha and called Tokyo mods too. They said some years has "pressed in" non removable seats. There is nothing to grab on to unscrew this seat. I tried before when I was rebuilding this carb :-(

I didn't realize there was this difference in carbs. The FCR carbs I am familiar with are on KTM's, although the repair needle seat O-ring used had a Yamaha part # on the container.

• 2 weeks later...