HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pat E

120 vs. 110 rear tire?

4 posts in this topic

I have a 2010 YZ450 on the way, and while I already have a MX51 front tire ready to put on, I'm not sure about the size of the rear? I've ridden 250 2-strokes my whole life and therefore am only familiar with 110's. Do I order a 110 to switch that out too? I understand the concept behind the fatter 120 tire, but what are the actual differences in feel? Also, does anyone know the 2010 yz gearing? 13-48? Thanks.

I much prefer 110/90 rear tires the 120/80 rears push too much for me. I like the way a bike turns with a 110/90 much better.

It also depends on what kind of riding you do, If you ride looser terrain, a fatter rear tire may be a better option. If you like to slide the rear out in turns (like in tight woods riding), a narrower tire would be the right choice.

Your 450 will have more than enough power to roost in any corner on any terrain. My friend rides a KTM 525 with a 130 rear, he likes it because of the planted feel, especially coming out of corners.

A 120 tire is a real good size because you still get the nimble feel of a 110, but get some of the grip of a super wide tire.

I personally have gone between a 100 and a 120, I chose a 110 because my old bike doesn't have enough power to break a 120 loose very easy in hard pack.

As a more direct reference, another friend of mine, a very experienced enduro rider, runs a 120 on his 426...