Is a yz450f too much for a 15year old?

I moved to a KTM125sx from a ttr125l when I was twelve. I moved to a KTM250f about a year later then back to an older 125, which acted as a transition bike for a few months before I got a 450, when my 250f blew up( rod bearing cage came apart; seems to be very common with these bikes). When I was 14 I got a 2008 YZ450f( keep in mind that I was 5'11" and 210lb).

I had no problems adapting to the bike as I had ridden bigger bikes in the past. The reason I went with the 450f over a 250f or 125 again was to hopefully have something reliable and that I could improve on without having to worry about the engine wearing out parts, so I didn't have to spend as much ( my parents help me buying bikes, but from there I am completely responsible for them).

If money wasn't an issue, I would have went to another 125 or 250f. I believe it would help you in the long run if you are trying to become a serious rider.

The reason I went with the 450f over a 250f or 125 again was to hopefully have something reliable
That would be why I went with a YZ250F :thumbsup:
My son was on a TTR 125 and I thought rather than taking the step to a 125 2 stroke I would move him right to a 250F and he would be good for a few years. This turned out to be a costly mistake. He was lazy shifting on the 4 stroke and not nearly agressive enough. His clutch skills and corner speed were not improving. After the first season I sold it and put him on a KTM 144 2 stroke. It turned out to be an excellent move. His clutch skills and cornering both vastly improved. He spent 2 seasons riding the 144. At the end of the season last year I told him I would buy him whatever MX bike he wanted and after much consideration he chose a 250 2 stroke. He loves the 2 stroke power. I know they are not for everyone but he loves it and I am happy due to the simplicity and low maintenance costs. My recommendation would be to go with a KTM 150. The reviews are stellar and they have more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke. If you can ride this bike you can win against the 250s. Move to a 450 in a couple of years.

Why did the KTM make him a better rider?

That would be why I went with a YZ250F :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention I also went with a 450f is to have the versatility. I was ranging from extremely fast desert races( BITD) to motocross and anywhere in between and wanted a bike to do it all without making too many changes. I also wanted a bike that I wouldn't outgrow, or at least feel like I was outgrowing.

I'm glad I did what I did, but like I said, if money isn't an issue and your looking to improve, a 125 or 250f is the way to go.

i know ill probably get bashed for this...but you want cheap and woods capable. BUY A KDX 200, 220, 250

like someone previously said you wont be revving in the woods unless you ride in 1st gear pinned all over the place.

you golden, im almost 17 now but i have been riding a 450 since i was 15, i guess it depends on riding experience, i rode a dirtbike before i could ride a regular bike.

i know ill probably get bashed for this...but you want cheap and woods capable. BUY A KDX 200, 220, 250

like someone previously said you wont be revving in the woods unless you ride in 1st gear pinned all over the place.

Why bash you ? In the correct element, the tried and true KDX's are a tought act to beat as far as versatility and value.. just ask Jeff Fredette what he has preferred to ride for the past 20 years.... :thumbsup:

Pick up a used 250 smoker, and rebulid it yourself with money saved. You'll be able to trust it, and you'll know it's not a big deal to maintain it. Ride the piss out off it, and keep it as a back up/buddy bike when you get your next bike, a 450 thumper.

The KTM didn't make him a better rider. Having to learn how to keep a small bore 2 stroke on the pipe and in the power band using proper clutch and throttle technique made him a better rider. His 250F had much more low end grunt and required much less finess to go fast. Some say this is the beauty of 4 strokes. In my sons case, this allowed him to ride the bike without using the clutch and gear range to his competitive advantage.

Can a 2 stroke be lugged at all? Also with all the really tight stuff, do you have to clutch a lot while riding the 250 2 stroke?

Yes a 2 stroke can be lugged... and it will handle the tight stuff very well with proper gearing and a fww!

Can a 2 stroke be lugged at all? Also with all the really tight stuff, do you have to clutch a lot while riding the 250 2 stroke?

Stock 125 and 250 MX type peaky engines are a poor choice for woods. However, these engine can be substantially "smoothed" out with lower gearing, and a nice hefty flywheel weight.

yeah but shifting and all that, a 125 smoker sure is a blast to ride:thumbsup:

yeah but shifting and all that, a 125 smoker sure is a blast to ride:thumbsup:

Ever spend any time on a YZ250F?

Yes my buddy lets me ride his 08 a lot, and its such a fun bike, its fast and it corners really well and i feel somewhat more safe on it. But im just worried about rebiulds and valves. but he said if you take care of these bikes, they will last a while. Is that true? Also since im riding a lot of trails, i dont think it will hurt that too much. What do you think

But im just worried about rebiulds and valves. but he said if you take care of these bikes, they will last a while. Is that true? Also since im riding a lot of trails, i dont think it will hurt that too much. What do you think

Nothing to worry about, it's not a honda crf. With proper maintenance it should last literally for YEARS of trail riding. As long as you take proper care of the bike there's probably ZERO chance that you would ever even need to even think about rebuilding it. Let's see, you're 15 years old, buy a yz250f and use it for 3 years until you turn 18, sell the 250 and give yourself a graduation present with a yz450f. Problem solved...

I love the 2-strokes and ride one often, but the only thing that can run on longer than this thread is a YZ250F!

Last week my son and I went riding with a top 10 pro in the WMA. She rode her trusty 2006 YZ250F. I asked her what she has had done to it. She said NOTHING! She rides the bike hard and has had no failures in four years. She probably rides MX 2 or 3 times a week. I have seen no failures on the three YZ250F's that my sons have owned.

Two-strokes are really fun to ride and cheap to rebuild, but you will rebuild the top end often. In my experience the 250F performs very well and has had a lower total ownership cost (TOC) and that is what counts.:thumbsup:

but the only reason i was looking into a 450 is because my buddy said get a bigger bike with a little more power, and then he said grow into it. But there is a yz125 09 at my local dealership for like 5700 but im deifnatley sure they will bring the price dwn, but i think a 250f is for me. idk

but the only reason i was looking into a 450 is because my buddy said get a bigger bike with a little more power, and then he said grow into it. But there is a yz125 09 at my local dealership for like 5700 but im deifnatley sure they will bring the price dwn, but i think a 250f is for me. idk

5700 for a 125??? that's robbery!!! Run away from that dealer as fast as you can. Instead, buy an 09 250f with that amount of money. Or better yet, find a lightly used 08 or 09 250f for a lot less money.