HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleekfreak

Renthal or sidewinder

12 posts in this topic

Rode my 01426 yesterday hard ( after breakin) since purchase 3 days ago and this bike rips. Does the chain on these things stretch easy or what, maybe it is just me but I got serious slack after just 7 hours. Thinking about going ahead and putting a better set up on kind of courious what you guys use and maybe a ltlle inside info on the two above products?

7 hours- that's pretty good for the stocker. I put a Renthal works chain on the stock sprockets and I can tell you I don't like this setup, seems like the chain doesn't like the stock sprockets. Next one for me will be an O-ring chain and I'm going up one tooth on the back...

Mike

I use both Sidewinder and Renthal with good results. My advice would be to wait on a Sidewinder until you’ve settled on a size. I have a 49 tooth Sidewinder but I’ve been running a 47 Renthal (but I don’t moto).

My Sidewinder has outlasted a Regina o-ring and a countershaft sprocket and it still looks great, not hooked at all. I’ve always thought that a good chain will make your sprockets last longer so I try to match new sprockets with a new chain, by the time my 47 Renthal is nice and hooked the chain will likely be stretched out.

Sidewinder is JUNK!!!! I toasted a new set of chan and sprockets in just three races. I haven't tried their new Stainless sprockets or chain but with the way their product lasted before I'm not very fired up to give them any more of my money. I have raced 15 Hare Scrambles, 8 Enduros, and 4 or 5 Motocrosses on one set of AFAM o-ring chain and steel sprockets and they still look great.

I've been running a sidewinder matched sprocket set with their stainless rear and O-ring chain. I've run around 50 - 55 Gallons thru the scoot and the stainless rear mushroomed slightly at first and then seemed to stop. The chain I had to adjust 4 times. Everything still seems to be in good condition. I am happy with the combo so far.

I run the Sidewinder Rear Stainless Steel Sprocket and Factory Concepts Steel Front(cheap at my local shop) and a O-Ring Chain. The Sidewinder Stainless is heavier than most and since I race harescrambles weight is not a big concern for me as in longevity. The stainless went through the whole summer without any wear. I personally swear by them. I won't buy the chain or front sprocket seeing how I think that they are extremely over priced.

------------------

Scott #431

Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"

'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)

'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR

"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"

"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Pics

I have always had great performance with Renthal products, as far as chains go the stocker is crap, I run an DID X-Ring. They run with as little drag as non o-rings (ok, maybe not a big issue on a 426) without the need for messy chain lubes.

Apprecite the info people. I guess I will go with a full Renthal setup. I heard you could not hurt the sidewinder but I guess that "ain't"true. Probably stick with the 49/14 sprockets and go with a 0-ring chain. I did like the way the sidewinder looked but if you can tear it up and at the same time gain a 11/2 pound might as well save the money. What other combo's would you guys suggest.

I run Renthal sprockets and the DID X-ring chain. The X-ring chain is by far the best chain I have ever used. It hardly streaches at all!! I'v run Regina, Tabuski, Sidewinder and other supposidly quality "O" ring chains and none are even close to the DID X-ring chains for durability and long life. Make sure you get the DID "X"-ring it costs more but lasts and lasts and lasts.

Clark

Hey guys,

I got suckered into the Sidewinder stainless rear and stanless chain. Only have 2 rides on it, so I can't say much, but I can comment on the price.... WOW. It better last longer than two sets of normal priced chain/sprockets or I am taking the things back. Luckily, the sidewinder "factory"/headquarters is near home. I was assured that these things will last, an update will come after a few more rides (looks like spring) after 15" of snow today....

I have been running the non o-ring DID ERT chain for about 8 months, once a week riding, and it is still in great shape. For a non o-ring chain, you can't go wrong with this one. Based on these results, I would agree with Clark and others regarding the DID X-ring chain, it has to last a long, long time. It will probably be my next chain.