HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cordesr1

New to Big 4's, Need some help

9 posts in this topic

I've ridden a lot in the past but not ridden at all through college. I recently picked up a 03' 450F. i use to ride a Honda XR250 then to a 400. I am still just a trail rider but need to know what needs to be done to a 450 to make it trail ready. I know i need the spark arrester and hand guards but anything else would greatly be appreciated.

i know the tank is small 1.8 gallons. what kind of fuel range is expected on this. The trails where i ride go form single track to open ORV Route (large enough to get a jeep down)

Im a trail rider that just got a MX bike, like i said anything will be a help

Thank you

Edited by cordesr1

depending on your weight, softer springs maybe in order, a suspension revalve would be ideal.

Gearing may or not be good, ride it and find out

Kickstand would be nice, pro moto billet makes a good unit, and they would also be able to take care of the spark arrestor, although if you have the money the fmf powerbomb + fmf q is a good combo.

depending on your style, a rekluse auto clutch might be a nice addition as well.

1 person likes this

I have the pro moto kick stand, IMS 3 gallon tank, running a 45/14 sprockets, Maxxis Desert IT tires. My riding buddy who has an 04 CRF 450 get's about 40-50 miles on his 1.8 tank while I still have 1/4 to almost 1/2 gal. of fuel left. I would say get the IMS tank and at least a 47 in the rear.

I've ridden a lot in the past but not ridden at all through college. I recently picked up a 03' 450F. i use to ride a Honda XR250 then to a 400. I am still just a trail rider but need to know what needs to be done to a 450 to make it trail ready. I know i need the spark arrester and hand guards but anything else would greatly be appreciated.

i know the tank is small 1.8 gallons. what kind of fuel range is expected on this. The trails where i ride go form single track to open ORV Route (large enough to get a jeep down)

Im a trail rider that just got a MX bike, like i said anything will be a help

Thank you

Those '03 YZ450's packed a BRUTAL punch ! Too much power too quick back in the day.... you definately need to mellow out the power delivery to be "trail happy". First and foremost I would suggest a flywheel weight (your '03 might even already have one ). Maybe even think about swapping to the WR450F exhaust cam..

The Bike has a FMF Titanium 4 exhaust with full the power bomb header.

the more the better

Not if you are a "trail rider" like you are claiming....

Here's my opinion: "It's far easier to push a mellow engine hard in the woods, than it is to tame a beast of an engine in the same situation". Everyone always want's more power, power, power when most everyone doesn't use a stock engines' full power capabilities to begin with... but you do whatever you are comfortable with.....

I have the pro moto kick stand, IMS 3 gallon tank, running a 45/14 sprockets, Maxxis Desert IT tires. My riding buddy who has an 04 CRF 450 get's about 40-50 miles on his 1.8 tank while I still have 1/4 to almost 1/2 gal. of fuel left. I would say get the IMS tank and at least a 47 in the rear.

sorry for kinda hijacking this thread, but I tried PM'ing you but it would not let me..

Ryan426 how do you like the Pro Moto kickstand ? Are they beefy enough to allow kickstarting a big bore bike while on the kickstand ? I have a KX500 that I blast around with out on the ice. My issue is getting secure footing to kick my KX500 over is a real PIA when I am out in the middle of a frozen lake... thanks!

Not if you are a "trail rider" like you are claiming....

Here's my opinion: "It's far easier to push a mellow engine hard in the woods, than it is to tame a beast of an engine in the same situation". Everyone always want's more power, power, power when most everyone doesn't use a stock engines' full power capabilities to begin with... but you do whatever you are comfortable with.....

if it affects the engine like my fmf system did (Powerbomb+powercoreIV with quiet insert) its not really increasing power, its just moving it around, my bike has a ton of low and mid power now while retaining the top it did before, just basically smoothed it out a ton, excellent mod, but to me it wouldnt have been the 500 some odd dollars i would have had to pay brand new.

The bike came with the whole FMF system and i don't really have the money to chance it now. It sounds good but it is a little loud.