HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motodiver13

Carb ?

6 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

My 98 WR400 carb is trashed. I'm looking around on ebay and have found some ok prices on stuff for newer quads. They are FCR-MX 40, and 41mm. Mine is the older FCR 39mm. Has anyone run one of these I know jetting might be difficult (or not) but are there any other issues?

Can you order parts to rebuild your carb? You should be able to. That would be the best route. Buy other peoples carb is just a hassle. I know from person shop experience.

Hey Guys,

My 98 WR400 carb is trashed. I'm looking around on ebay and have found some ok prices on stuff for newer quads. They are FCR-MX 40, and 41mm. Mine is the older FCR 39mm. Has anyone run one of these I know jetting might be difficult (or not) but are there any other issues?

Don't limit your search to 98-99 carbs. You can also use the 03+ carbs on your bike, although the airbox boot will have to be stretched forward a little to fit as the 03+ carbs are a little shorter from end to end. You will also have to use the 03+ cables if you go this route. There is an 06 carb listed in the Yamaha classifieds here on TT (I believe it's the YZ Moderator's listing).

If it makes you feel any better I run an 05 carb on my 99 WR400 with the 05 cables.

What is trashed on your current carb. It can be rebuilt for far less than the price of a used carb. Keep in mind that the carbs on e-bay may need the same TLC that your current carb needs.

Don't limit your search to 98-99 carbs. You can also use the 03+ carbs on your bike, although the airbox boot will have to be stretched forward a little to fit as the 03+ carbs are a little shorter from end to end. You will also have to use the 03+ cables if you go this route. There is an 06 carb listed in the Yamaha classifieds here on TT (I believe it's the YZ Moderator's listing).

If it makes you feel any better I run an 05 carb on my 99 WR400 with the 05 cables.

There are a lot of tuning advantages to using the later model FCR carbs which may help ease the pain of the extra parts:thumbsup:

It needs new AP diaphragm, AP curcuit is clogged cant open up, needs all new gaskets and o-rings, the rubber sealn on the slide, the other diaphragm (not sure what this one is for, hot start.. i think), I think thats about it. Most of the carbs I've seen on ebay are newer than 98, most in the 03-07 range. I think rebuild parts might be more than replacement.