Officially switched teams ! Pics

Well, I sold my '05 CRF 450R on Saturday and bought a next to new '09 YZ 450F. I'm pumped ! I've had 7 MX bikes and all of them have been Honda's, but I decided it's time to switch things up a little. So now I'm going to be asking you guys which parts are interchangeable between years, 'cause I've got no idea with the Yamaha's.

I was in the market for a brand new 450F and had found them around for around $5000 out the door, if anyone's looking in MN Heinin's Motorsports has 6 of the red/white ones left for $5050 out the door. I would have bought from them if I hadn't found this one.

The story with this one is that the guy who owns the dealership took two 450f's and went South for a vacation. I guess they found something else to do instead of riding the bikes because this thing has next to no time on it. The salesman said less than an hour on each of them, it's never been on it's side - period, the nipples are still on the front and visible on the rear, and the clutch/stator cover are hardly scratched.

I got it for $4499 out the door !! :ride:

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Yeah, going from an '05 regardless of model to an '09 is gonna be sweet - I go pick the new one up on Thursday.

There were a couple of reasons why I didn't get an '09 Honda, the OEM intake valves on my '05 wore out after 70 hours and it cost me $450 to replace them with a complete Kibblewhite set up (OEM piston incl). After that I didn't have any more valve issues, but before my '05 sold I had bought a new set of KW intakes as the ones that were in the bike had 110 hours on them. Thought it'd be a good idea to put a new set in there although I still had some room to play with my shim kit.

I didn't want to buy a new bike, only to have to spend that kind of money (in a relatively short amount of time) on what I consider a maintenance item.

The suspension on the '09 Honda and the 4 spring clutch were two other reasons I decided to go with a Yamaha. My last road-race bike was an '04 R6 (I've had 4 Yamaha street bikes in years past) so I'm no stranger to the brand.

I'm looking for a pipe for it, probably go with a slip-on instead of a full system as I'd rather put the extra $$ into getting the suspension re-valved. I've got a new hour meter for it, rad guards will be next and we'll see what happens after that.

P-U-M-P-E-D !!!

I also had an 05 CRF 450R. Sold it a while back and went to a YZ 250 2T. Now on an 07 YZ450F LE. Stock motor except for a DMC pipe and silencer. Power is much smother than the Honda, seems to pull longer too. The Honda was stronger off the bottom I think but the YZF has enough pull. The YZF Hooks up better and much less shifting. The YZF is also not stall prone like the Honda. Suspension is very smooth and turns just fine. Only complaint is front brake is not as strong as the Honda.

Overall, I'm happy though.

I bet you wish you would have thought twice before making your member name now that you have switched teams. . .

SH*T !! Now after all these years I'm gonna have to start up a new TT account.?

or not...

I bought a Pro Circuit T4 slip-on for it, so that should help get back some of the HP lost with the stock can. Next I'll order a set of rad cages and I'd like to put an oversize front rotor on it as well.

I considered what I would have needed to spend on an '09 Honda VS. the Yamaha and IMO the Yam. will take less $$ to get it where I want. I'm not saying the Honda isn't a good bike, because they are (saying otherwise would be true ignorance) but I know I'm gonna be happy with the switch. Besides, 7 MX bikes ('91, '96, '00/'01/'02 CR 250R's and '02, '05 CRF 450R's) later I think it's time to move on to another brand.

I go pick it up tomorrow !!!! :ride:

you might not be so impressed by the power. invest in at least a slip on. yamahas crazy little muffler is a joke....

Heh...that's pretty funny. Who's gonna need more power than the stock bike produces? Superman?

I guess if your riding consists of drag racing down dirt roads, you might be able to use more power (the big 2% an aftermarket system will give you)...but at the track it'd be a waste of money.

Looks cool...sounds cool...sure. Go out and get an aftermarket system for those reasons. For power? Spend your money on a gym membership...it's a more logical investment. The 47hp you got stock is going to require a strong grip!

Heh...that's pretty funny. Who's gonna need more power than the stock bike produces? Superman?
Ever ride an '06?

The mid range on the '08-'09 models is lame, to be polite, and most of that is directly due to the cute little muffler. Cheap slip-ons will add 3 hp at 5000 rpm. Good systems, 7 or 8.

I guess I must be Superman. Funny, I wouldn't have thunk it.