HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeepentj

How Many 2010 YZ450F's in the US

33 posts in this topic

I stopped by the local dealership this weekend to see if I could get a peek at the 2010 YZ450F in person. Sadly, they didn't have one but told me Yamaha was importing only 500 of them for 2010, which I thought seemed really, really low. They were trying to get me to put a deposit on one (and I was just looking!) so I'm pretty sure it was just a sales tactic but was curious if anybody knew anything about this.

So anyway, the question is did Yamaha only import 500 450F's in the US? And when do you think the prices will return to normal (as in no longer at or above MSRP)? Obviously, the easy answer is when the supply outweighs demand but I'm curious to know when availability will no longer be an issue (guesses anyway).

I think 500 units for sale in the US is the minimum required by the AMA to make a motorcycle qualify for compitition. Maybe the dealers are just playing that up to make them seem more desireable. Seems way low to me though.

there seem to be more of these in australia and dont seem to have as many problems getting them i cant beleave that only 500 into the usa being there is a lot more people in the usa

I think that 500 is bs but I am just speculating. I got mine in november for below msrp so there is hope if your dealer is good

I have no idea how many will be imported in 2010 but I think it's more than 500. I got mine last month and paid $7550. Everyone isn't charging over MSRP. You have to shop around.

there seem to be more of these in australia and dont seem to have as many problems getting them i cant beleave that only 500 into the usa being there is a lot more people in the usa

Unit for Unit the Australian market is bigger than the US.

I think 500 units for sale in the US is the minimum required by the AMA to make a motorcycle qualify for compitition. Maybe the dealers are just playing that up to make them seem more desireable. Seems way low to me though.

Its called "homogolation"(sp?) I think the number is a lot closer to 100 units though.

There has got to be more than 100 in the US right now. Including me I've seen 5 at my local track in Eastern Washington which is by no means a motocross hotspot. The homologation rule doesn't mean anything anyway. If it did Stewart wouldn't have been able to ride it at the US Open. There for sure weren't 100 in the US then....

Let see, I just picked up unit 3949 today. That suggest that there are at least 4000 in the states now.

Let see, I just picked up unit 3949 today. That suggest that there are at least 4000 in the states now.

I have #3655 but I don't know if that number applies to US imports or overall production. I would think it's overall production. Maybe someone who's worked at a dealership can chime in.

where is this number sayin what production number ur bike is? i got my 10 in the garage nd am just curious.

the vin number of your bike is on the right side of the steering stem. The first numbers represent the production number for the bike, IE. 0003949 and 0000689 for an earlier bike.

There has got to be more than 100 in the US right now. Including me I've seen 5 at my local track in Eastern Washington which is by no means a motocross hotspot. The homologation rule doesn't mean anything anyway. If it did Stewart wouldn't have been able to ride it at the US Open. There for sure weren't 100 in the US then....

The US Open is different. . .

I agree with FinchFan394. The Open is different. I also think the homologation number is 500 units.

The last six of the VIN is the sequential production unit number, starting with 000001.

That's what I know.

I believe they have to have the number of bikes (400 or 500?) in the country by the end of the calendar year in which the season ends. If they didn't have the rule the factory teams would be running prototypes or highly modified bikes and claim they thought they were going to mass manufacture them. The rule helps level the playing field so the privateer has a chance.

The long and short version of this story is that you should shop around, if the dealer that is telling you there is only 500 (truth is he may not even know, could be assuming, or at worst Bsing), and still can still offer you a fair price, then who cares? If hes jacking it up, whether there are 500 or not, then just shop else where, you will find one.

In a terrible economic year, does it make good sense to limit production on the one machine in the line-up that is selling? Or do you limit the number sold to stretch this out over a few years???

In a terrible economic year, does it make good sense to limit production on the one machine in the line-up that is selling?
No. You would only limit it if increasing production beyond a certain level would increase your costs too much.

That's why I don't believe the conspiracy theory about limiting the production deliberately.