Bar risers on 2010 YZ 450

I did a search but did not find much or any info on the 2010. A guy told me that the 06'-09' risers will not fit the 2010. They sure look the same to me. I did get the GYTR risers the other day at the dealership but there only 5mm risers and I need/used to 10mm. No I do not want to run a higher bar , that seems to be everyones answer. I like high risers and the very straight flat bend McGrath bars. I have windham protapers on there now with the 5mm risers its like a chopper that bend is not for me. I have some Fastway lowboy pegs coming also to open the bike up I cant believe how cramped the bike is.

So anyone know? I always liked the applied 10mm bar risers but there website has nothing on the 2010 just up to 2008. Is there anyone else making them?

thanks

You need to open up the mounting holes. I ended up getting 17mm risers that come with a 12mm bolt, stock on the '10 top triple is 10mm. Yea I like the flat bar too and the stock bar is straight . I ended up using older wide CRF pegs (the ones with the barrel on the bottom and long-arm) cutting the barrel relocating it to the top grinding the long-arm to fit in the YZ foot-peg bracket. Works great. Tall seat foam.

I have to do these mods to every bike i have owned (and in the last 3 years I have had 'em all) because of my size. And the 2010 YZ has turned out to be the most comfortable.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

P.S ya might need help with the brake and shifter too HammerHead has the best set-up so far from what I found for both those issues These bikes are not made for size 15 boots either

So your saying to drill out the holes on the stock clamps?I just ordered the hammerhead shifter but not the brake lever. It was a kit for $169 not sure if that is the one your running but the shifter had different sizes in width, I wear a 13 so I got the +20 shifter. I saw rider engineering makes a bar clamp that is higher and rubber mounted but I did not see it for the 2010.

Im the same way I set up my bikes identical (as much as the bike allows).. Coming off a 2010 ktm I def need to look into front brake rotor the yami does not stop lol Just did a couple motos on it but so far im liking it alot getting the suspension done this coming week by MX1 hes got the 2010 yz's dialed.. MXA has his stuff now but ive ridden a 2010 YZ 450 with MX1 it was cush but progressively firm .. Very nice!

Hoss , I tried Dean Atkins 2010 at E-Street the other week. I could not believe how compact it was. My biggest impression comming off the bike was not knowing if I could live with how compact it was. Bummer. He had the bar in the forward mounting hole and it still felt like an 80.

I had a hard time getting to the shift lever as well. I am a fan of the Pro-taper P-3 type triple clamp. You can go really far forward AND they have +10 and +20mm bar mounts available. this design has been sold to many different brand names. I have seen them listed as FLY racing triple clamps and Rocky Mountain was selling the same design but they were silver.

Unfortunately these are becomming harder and harder to find and I was kinda lucky to find a set that fit my 08' YZ450. There was a rubber mount version of this clamp as well but it did not allow nearly as much forward /aft movement.

I wanted to talk about these footpeg mounts I bought for my 08' They lower the pegs a half inch (more that most brands) and they went straight down , NOT down and back. For some reason I never liked the concept of down AND back so I was excited to find these mounts. I am not sure if they will fit on the 2010 yz. I emailed the company 2 weeks ago to see if they would but I have not heard back. http://www.systemtechracing.com/category_s/5.htm

A bonus cool feature with this set up is that you have to rotate the shift lever down 1 spline. When you do this , it actually sets the tip of the lever a little lower (in relation to the foot peg) than the factory position. I found that I liked this instantly as the bike was easier to shift and get a boot under. This really worked for me at 6'2". This would be a manditory mod for me on the 2010 as I noticed while riding it ,that I really had to put in an extra effort to upshift. Seemed like a real stretch.

If there is any way to compare the stock 2010 foot peg mount to the stock08,09' mount ,this would probably be the best way to determine if you gould use these mounts or not. the company is small and in this economy , I can see them going under or atleast not comming up with any new/updated stuff.

I just saw that the KTM was for sale and knew you must be getting something else. I was wondering where you would end up. Good luck. Dan Lawson.

Hey Hoss! I ran into the guy who bought your KTM at mammoth bar. He actually let me ride it too. Damn!, those KTM brakes are amazing! I also have the 2010 YZ450 and I put on a Galfer oversized rotor because the stock front brake didnt stop me very well. The oversized rotor is a definite improvement. I am a big guy also,and I noticed how cramped I felt on the 2010. I also like a low bar. I moved the bar mounts in the most forward position and that seemed to feel much better to me. I wouldn't mind trying those low mount foot pegs also. My 09 YZ450 didnt feel this cramped. I still like the 2010 very much. It took me a few rides to get better used to it but it is an awesome bike.

So your saying to drill out the holes on the stock clamps?I just ordered the hammerhead shifter but not the brake lever. It was a kit for $169 not sure if that is the one your running but the shifter had different sizes in width, I wear a 13 so I got the +20 shifter. I saw rider engineering makes a bar clamp that is higher and rubber mounted but I did not see it for the 2010.

Im the same way I set up my bikes identical (as much as the bike allows).. Coming off a 2010 ktm I def need to look into front brake rotor the yami does not stop lol Just did a couple motos on it but so far im liking it alot getting the suspension done this coming week by MX1 hes got the 2010 yz's dialed.. MXA has his stuff now but ive ridden a 2010 YZ 450 with MX1 it was cush but progressively firm .. Very nice!

What is the HammerHead kit you're referring to? Do you have a link to it (I Googled it but couldn't find a kit)? I'm 6'2" and wear size 13 boots and would love a longer break and shifter (which it sounds like the Hammerhead kit is).

http://www.btosports.com/p/HHDROTATINGB

http://www.btosports.com/p/HHDRUBBERSHIFT <<<<Look at the bottom shows different sizes.

Dan those lowering kits for the pegs seem cool. I emailed them and I will call them tomorrow sometime to see if the work. They should. I have windham evo protapers and the gytr higher +5mm bar clamps. They are close to being enough because the bars are high but the sweep I dont like. I like flat bars and high mounts just something ive used since the early 90's and it is hard to run other options. If I can not find just plain bar mounts I will probably just run these and see if I can get used to them. I really dont want to drop coin on a upper triple clamp just for mounts my wife is already giving me the stink eye for selling the ktm but that bike was paid off and I gave her the money since she has not worked after having our baby. So for the most part lol she is cool with it.

Gerry how did you like the ktm? I had that bike dialed and yes I miss the brakes and I also miss the Rekluse core exp that thing is like cheating on a mx track. At some point I will probably put one in the 10' yami but for now ill stick with the stock set up. I had Roseville yamaha put a Dr d system on it and remap it with some team setting they got from JGR or something. I rode one stock tho and I can def say the pipe and mapping made a very good difference. The bike stock lacks top end in a huge way but now it pulls a good bit further on the top end. I may go up two teeth in the rear sprocket so i can ride 3rd and 4th everywhere and not touch 1 or 2nd gear. Right now the stock gearing seems like it has a pretty large gap from 3rd to 4th so im gonna close that.

Oh ya I dunno if you have a pipe yet but I have a support/advertising deal with another exhaust company so im gonna sell my Dr D SS system. Has one ride on it basically brand spanking new . So if you know any one let me know. Dan ask Dean if he wants one.

I cant wait for my pegs to be lowered once I get those on there it will be alot better for sure. MX1 is doing the suspension this week while it rains so I will be ready to go next week. But so far my first ride on it I liked it alot something about FI that really helps to ride smooth just need to gear it different to get more grunt in 3rd and 4th gear. Working on it is simple also.

I did a search but did not find much or any info on the 2010. A guy told me that the 06'-09' risers will not fit the 2010. They sure look the same to me. I did get the GYTR risers the other day at the dealership but there only 5mm risers and I need/used to 10mm. No I do not want to run a higher bar , that seems to be everyones answer. I like high risers and the very straight flat bend McGrath bars. I have windham protapers on there now with the 5mm risers its like a chopper that bend is not for me. I have some Fastway lowboy pegs coming also to open the bike up I cant believe how cramped the bike is.

So anyone know? I always liked the applied 10mm bar risers but there website has nothing on the 2010 just up to 2008. Is there anyone else making them?thanks

I believe these here will fit any bike.

http://pitposse.com/ourabiunbarr.html

Dean already had the Dr.D on there when I rode his bike. Now that you don't have the KTM anymore , what are the differences between the KTM and the Kawasaki in your opinion? You are the only guy I know of that basically gets to do his own shootout each year. You get them all set up the way you like them so in a best it can be for you world ,let's hear it. your tuned for you Kawasaki VS. your tuned for you KTM. Both bikes are supposed to be geared toward larger riders. how do they differ in handling ,power ,suspension ,riding position ,gearbox etc..?

Last time I ever rode a Kawi ,something felt off. Like the pegs were too far forward or something. I did'nt get it. Never met a KTM I did'nt like yet. I dig my Yamaha but I have had it since 08' and that's a long time to have one bike for me. I was all geared up and stoked on the YZ but the ergos have me just wondering about the new Kawi. I know you have had them all recently. I want the Hoss shootout.

Dean already had the Dr.D on there when I rode his bike. Now that you don't have the KTM anymore , what are the differences between the KTM and the Kawasaki in your opinion? You are the only guy I know of that basically gets to do his own shootout each year. You get them all set up the way you like them so in a best it can be for you world ,let's hear it. your tuned for you Kawasaki VS. your tuned for you KTM. Both bikes are supposed to be geared toward larger riders. how do they differ in handling ,power ,suspension ,riding position ,gearbox etc..?

Last time I ever rode a Kawi ,something felt off. Like the pegs were too far forward or something. I did'nt get it. Never met a KTM I did'nt like yet. I dig my Yamaha but I have had it since 08' and that's a long time to have one bike for me. I was all geared up and stoked on the YZ but the ergos have me just wondering about the new Kawi. I know you have had them all recently. I want the Hoss shootout.

LOL

Well you forgot the 08.5 RMZ 450 that was after the KAwi but I basically found that in L.A area with a few rides on it for a great price so i got it did some small things to it and sold it and made a little money.

Between the KTM and the Kawi they were both good in different areas. The kawi motor was a monster it came on so hard and pulled all the way through almost violent. It did not turn in stock form and the brakes sucked like most jap bikes do stock (for me) others have no problem but once you know what you like its hard not to have it. After RG3 susp and over size rotor and 20mm rg3 clamps on the kawi it was nice real nice. Sag on it was the deal breaker it seemed like 2-3 mm made it crap. The kawi over heated alot dont know why but I put a boyesen watercooler and fixed that. I felt good on that bike . The bike seemed to rattle apart a bit I was constantly checking and replacing shroud,and fender bolts even with loctite dont know why.

The ktm was sick. best brakes ever not even after market can compare to those brakes. Bars moved in forward position, risers and lowboy pegs made a open cockpit even bigger. It felt a bit heavy through turns but in rough stuff it handled great. the parts that come stock on the ktm's is second to none there the best built stock bikes available imo. Susp needs to be set up correctly and need to have correct free sag or it will steer like a seedoo. Once I had mx1 do the suspension it was unreal but I think i needed a stiffer rear shock spring. Imo progressive spring is a must unless your running a ohlins ttx shock then go straight rate but the no linkage everyone fears is great I would much rather have no linkage especially that we ride sand tracks to mud tracks. The motor on the ktm was in stock form the best motor I ever rode. It was much more mellow than the kx and yz but from mid up it was like it had nitrous. It pulled so hard it was scary at some tracks. Working on it was basic especially changing the air filter. They are just neat bikes come with everything you basically would by after market on a japanese bike. Stainless steel brake lines,hydro clutch, billet hubs, over size spokes ect..When they say ready to race they mean it. Ive had alot of ktm and the 2010 ktm 450 is BY FAR the best one they made. I had a 08 505 I hated it. Susp was terrible after 4 revalves by mdk. It just sucked plain and simple. The changes to the head set and shorter shock really made that bike great. I seriously have nothing bad to say about either bike.

Now the 2010 yz. Lap times dont lie and my first day I was 3-4 sec consistently faster a lap on it than the kawi or ktm. The motor on the yz is off is just crazy. its different than the ktm. Its power where you need it for motocross and that is bottom and mid. We dont have tracks where you are 4th or 5th pinned. The yz turns better than any of them even the rmz. And it stays in the rut and this is with stock suspension. I cant wait for the right springs and low pegs its gonna get good on the yami. I rode a couple 2010 yz's like a month ago and was not impressed with them mainly tho because the guys that owned them were shorter than I am and there set up was really really different than how I like it. Im not all that fast I go decent for a big dude but i just have a thing with having my ergos and controls set up perfect for me. the yz is cramped but the bars,risers and pegs will fix that no doubt. I dont run tall seats anymore I think there good for trail riding but for moto that extra inch or so higher really makes a difference in turning so i stick with stock seat height always. I am really stoked on the yz but I was really stoked on the ktm and kawi also. Stock form the ktm is the best imo , may not be the fastest on it but its just a great bike out of the crate. But with small changes the yz will be a bike I will go faster on, I already do and ive ridden it once. If your on the fence on any of them you really can not go wrong. Price,parts and mods is what would make up my mind. The ktms are not as expensive anymore than the jap bikes I got my 2010 ktm cheaper than what a 2010 yz450 goes for. they are a different bike and take a bit getting used to. I think the main thing with the Yamaha is how good it turns and the suspension is the best especially when set up for your weight. You just can not beat that for moto. I sold the ktm just to make ends meet for my wife really, after the baby its been hard to find a good job even with a degree and all just nothing out there. The ktm I paid cash for so for her sake I sold it. I posted that thing up and it sold in like 2 hours with 8 solid buyers. I could not tell you which is better because there all good but so far im faster on the yz not that it matters much.

I'm pretty tall (almost 6' 2") and I recently bought a 2010 YZ450. I have the GYTR +5mm top clamp and the Windham bend protaper bars. I also have protaper pegs with the -5mm cleats. What I'm looking for now is a tall seat. I've talked to SDG and they won't have anything available any time soon. They can build your stock seat up if you send it to them. I don't remember the price I was quoted but I think it was more than a complete SDG tall seat. Unfortunately aftermarket companies aren't so quick to jump into production on certain parts. There has to be a big enough demand....