2 moto on a 450?

I searched in the general forum for the answer im looking for but didnt find it. I am wanting to put a track on my 06 450. www.2moto.com if you havent seen them. One of my buddies that sells them also has one on his ktm 525 and the thing is so fun. Im wondering what the general consensus is on how it will affect my motor and things like that? If you keep up on oil changes and air filter i really dont see the problem with them. Use a good grade oil. The only thing im worried about is maybe the clutch? Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks

I searched in the general forum for the answer im looking for but didnt find it. I am wanting to put a track on my 06 450. www.2moto.com if you havent seen them. One of my buddies that sells them also has one on his ktm 525 and the thing is so fun. Im wondering what the general consensus is on how it will affect my motor and things like that? If you keep up on oil changes and air filter i really dont see the problem with them. Use a good grade oil. The only thing im worried about is maybe the clutch? Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks

I think it will put some extra strain on the motor and internals like the clutch. It would be like running a paddle but much larger. It seems to me that the motor would hold for a while but who knows how long. I have never seen anybody run one of these.

That thing looks like fun!

I agree though, would probably be an increased load on the engine and trans/clutch. You could just keep a more frequent service interval though.

that doesnt look cheap to me...

if you can aford that, you can also afford a new cluch rebuilt by the summer( if needed)

go on and have fun

Too much work converting over, too much cost, and I simply don't see how that mod can even sucessfully function to justify the cost..... There is a company called Snow Hawk http://www.snow-hawk.com/home.aspx that has been trying for years to perfect this type of snow machine. A buddy of mine demo'd a Snowhawk, and he said it was lame, and didn't handle well at all....

Looks like it would be alot of fun to me! I will probably never be able to get one and don't live in an area where it would get much use either. But if you can afford one of these, you probably can also afford another bike that will be your dirt bike. So you can have a snowbike and a dirtbike and not have to worry about the conversion all the time.

ok - here is a copy (if anyone interested) of my post on snowmobile forum (cos thats what many of us do at a snow times of the year - exept ice speedway of course :thumbsup:

Finally the three of us (normally riding YZ450Fs in warmer times of the year and Nytros and Phazer at rare colder times when we do have some decent snow cover round here) decided to try out the 2 moto conversions of our two '09 YZs and '09 WR 450.

it really felt awkward as it aint no snow sled or dirt bike either.

it is fun when you hit the right snow conditions (or may be your skill level is higher than ours. But here is our preliminary conclusions after 5 rides:

1) we cant ride with our snow sled gang together now - they are way faster and dont care much about icy roads, running water crossings, really deep snow or roots

2) you need to dress lighter than normally for a snow sled ride - as you move a lot - balance - hold the thing with your knees and stuff - this is a physical thing

3) 450 four stroke is not enough power to ride powder - soft snow roads and feet deep snow is perfect - but hit some really deep snow - say a meter - we didnt try (of have around here) anything deeper - and engine starts bogging and asking for clutch and rev and you need to build up some speed to "float above" snow - get up the snow and on top of it to be really riding - otherwise you drown or lose speed dramatically

4) the thing can climb on a slow pace some grown hills and generally go to places we wouldnt dare on a snow sled - traverse the slopes - go anywhere (provided tot too deep snow) maneuver round trees and build its own tracks - which is sort of fun

5) the best use we found for it - some field or slope behind your yard where you can go in circles jump etc etc - smth like a motocross track may be ) dont take it to far away places especially with a group of conventional sled riders

6) we still struggle with jet settings and trying to keep the engine and radiators warmer as normally after 3-5 minutes of difficult uphill revving the engine starts bogging and needs time to cool off (or maybe warm up - but we normally stop for 3-5 minutes - then we start and continue riding normally)

I guess we need to properly set up the engines to work at -5 -15 degrees Celsius.

next weekend we take our Nytros and Phazer to a new snow. Just for a change . Or may be put on the studdded wheels on the bikes and go find icy trails )

some heroic photos )

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg