Perplexing.. Help anyone... 09 yz450 with less then 10 hrs

Hi all!!

I have an 09 yz450f and have less then 10hrs. Here is my symptoms. Bike fires up fine and revs like a 450. But when put in gear, it goes no were. Clutch plates and baskets are good, oil a little burnt, lever and cable feels normal. No metalic shavings found in oil.. Anyone have an idea as to what culd be the prob? It happen suddenly while racing on at Dade City Mx. :ride:

Thank you. :ride:

Does the bike lurch forward and die, or does it run but not move when you put it in gear?

If the oil is 'burnt', you probably just smoked the clutch. Can you smell a 'burnt' smell? You say the plates are 'good'; have you measured them? If there's an 'burnt' odor, just replace the plates.

Rocky Mountain MC sells a kit that is reasonably priced and of adequate quality. I'd replace the springs with new stock springs, too.

:ride:Thank you. My bad thought. the cable feels normal then when it starts there is no tension on the lever. it gets very week.

You have free play in the clutch cable?

With the plates out of place, turning the clutch hub, does the trans lock into gear solidly?

I'm still not getting the picture. Does the bike move when you put it in gear and release the clutch lever, or does it not move while still running? Does it jump forward and die when you put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in? Describe your symptoms more clearly.

Describe your symptoms more clearly.
when put in gear, it goes no were.

Pretty clear, even with the spelling, no?

Pretty clear, even with the spelling, no?

Does he mean it sits, still running and goes nowhere, or dies and goes nowhere.

I was asking the OP, not you, but thanks anyway. I CAN read.

Does he mean it sits, still running and goes nowhere...(?)
That's how it reads. Let's wait and see what he says next.
I'm still not getting the picture. Does the bike move when you put it in gear and release the clutch lever, or does it not move while still running? Does it jump forward and die when you put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in? Describe your symptoms more clearly.

When bike is not running I can put it in gear and push it, it catches a little but not fully. Running or not, there is no tension on lever/cable. :ride: :ride:

Still not 'getting' it....are you saying that it feels like the cable is disconnected, as though it might have suddenly broken or come unhooked?

One of two things is happening if there is no tension:

The is just too slack. Unlikely, because if this were the case, you'd be unable to disengage the clutch. Yours won't engage.

There's no spring pressure. There can be a variety of things causing this. The springs could simply be bad, which seems unlikely, given the age of them. The other thing is that there may be some mechanical condition such as a loose main shaft nut that is preventing the pressure plate from pushing back against the plates and the push rod.

Better open it up again and have another look.

When bike is not running I can put it in gear and push it

When it's not running, are you pulling in the clutch to get it to move or will it move without the clutch pulled and in gear?

When it's running and in gear, is it just sitting and revving with the clutch out, or when you put it in gear it dies no matter if the clutch is in or out?

If this happened all of the sudden, it sounds like it would be a part failure. Or did this gradually come on like something wore out in a short period of time like when a clutch dies?

I have to agree with l_campionero, a more comprehensive explanation is needed.

It could be stripped clutch splines. Then it turns on the shaft and the lock washer spins the nut off which is why there is no spring pressure felt on the clutch lever.

lever and cable feels normal.
the cable feels normal then when it starts there is no tension on the lever. it gets very week.
Running or not, there is no tension on lever/cable. :ride: :ride:

Which is it? You've said three different things in three posts.

Now you guys know how I feel as an ER doc when patients come to the ER and have complaints but just dont make any sense and/or cannot verbalize exactly what is wrong! Help me help you! :ride:

Its definitely a clutch issue...pull the clutch cover off and take a look. I bet the nut has spun off as stated above.

Something to look at as far as a fried clutch and plates. What kind of oil are you running if you have something with a friction modifier you could be slipping your plates even if they look good.

I had that happen when i switched to a hinson slipper clutch, i found out that i didnt have the outer end plate on all the way meshed into the teeth and it would just spin and also the rod that goes to the clutch arm wasnt all the way in. try reassembling it, measure your plates they could be worn.

Now you guys know how I feel as an ER doc when patients come to the ER and have complaints but just dont make any sense and/or cannot verbalize exactly what is wrong! Help me help you! :ride:

With that avatar, it would scare me to tell you anything!:ride:

With that avatar, it would scare me to tell you anything!:ride:

LOL...when you are in there and in severe pain, you couldnt care less about the petty stuff! Give me the morphine doc!!! I'm sorry bud, morphine will drop your already low blood pressure...youre just gonna have to suck it up! :ride: