HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rogerc

California Plated WR will plate transfer with new title/

10 posts in this topic

If I buy a California wr450 that is already plated will it always keep the plate or will it be pulled when I register it?

Ask the guys in the Ca region section they know all about plates. I think you will keep the plate, but I don't know that 100%

Seems like if you have a CA plate, you could take it anywhere, but I could be wrong. I've heard of more trouble with people that have bikes plated outside of CA and try to take it there and get it plated. Also depends on where you're going. Some states (like Idaho) you can put a plate on anything without the DMV folks ever even looking at it.

If I buy a California wr450 that is already plated will it always keep the plate or will it be pulled when I register it?

According to the law, the bike should loss the plate when sold. But that doesnt mean that is going to happen. Ive sold 2 dual sported bikes and even bought one...never had an issue. I wouldnt worry about it to much

Once it has been plated, the DMV will generally make the assumption during a transfer of ownership that the new owner is buying it for the same purpose as it has been used and set up street registration for him as well.

The new owner of any street legal vehicle has the privilege of asking for off road vehicle registration in lieu of street registration, but you would generally have to ask.

Laws such as emissions and testing requirements change constantly with little notice, though. As with any question like this, the best information will come from the DMV itself. But probably not the lady at the reception desk.

But probably not the lady at the reception desk.

How sexist of you!

:ride:

According to the law, the bike should loss the plate when sold. But that doesnt mean that is going to happen. Ive sold 2 dual sported bikes and even bought one...never had an issue. I wouldnt worry about it to much

I agree.