IS the turkey baster mod enough?

Hello,

Let me first say this is not another "turkey baster mod, can you please post pics" thread (but it would be nice to see pix of a newer yz450f with this mod).

I know how to do this, but I am concerned that the turkey baster is not enough, I mean the one I saw at wally couldn't hold more than 2-3oz at best...I this gonna be enough?? I don't want the overflow to overflow...you know what I mean?

My other issue with the turkey baster is that I dont have rad braces... I need some expertise from someone who has my bike...there a a bazillion threads on other bikes not many on this one.

BTW, it's for an 08 yz450f.

TYIA:worthy:

The one from hyde racing has a small capacity also. It must be good enough.

Is it possible for you to make the overflow bottle from the wr450 fit? It may cost more, but it will hold more.

btw.. I have a 05 wr450 with the over flow bottle and it would occasionally boil over in the technical crap that I love to ride. However, I did two things... 1) I switched to full synthetic oil and 2) I stopped abusing the clutch so much. For the last 6 or 7 rides, I have lost zero coolant. With that in mind, you may not need the overflow bottle.

The one from hyde racing has a small capacity also. It must be good enough.

Is it possible for you to make the overflow bottle from the wr450 fit? It may cost more, but it will hold more.

btw.. I have a 05 wr450 with the over flow bottle and it would occasionally boil over in the technical crap that I love to ride. However, I did two things... 1) I switched to full synthetic oil and 2) I stopped abusing the clutch so much. For the last 6 or 7 rides, I have lost zero coolant. With that in mind, you may not need the overflow bottle.

Can you confirm the capcity of the rad is 1.05qts?

Yeah I could fit one from a wr350, but it would cost more for sure. I have a few options available to me, so I trying to figure out the best one.

I run mobile 1 full syn for motorcycles, change the oil every other ride if not every ride. I don't abuse the clutch. But I do ride a lot of desert trails, lots of sand, lots of hills, and lots of technical stuff. Plus I live in NM, and in the summer time it can get as high as 105, and can feel even hotter than that in the desert.

I picked up a small "juice box" which holds 8oz and is small and square clear plastic. Designed to put juice in for a kids lunch box. 2.) A baby bottle rigged up to a hose coming from the rad. Which I would have to mount in the rear fender opposite the muffler. 3.) I have a 4oz flask an ex got for me, that I could mount in the front where the frame splits at the bottom.

I like the flask idea because it small and sturdy, it could take the heat from the engine and any rocks that might get flung at it, but it's only 4oz.... which I don't know will be enough. I have never really measured how much has puked out before.

Would 4oz be enough or should I jus hook up the baby bottle?

Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated

this should meet your needs perfectly. Motion pro coolant recovery kit. $31

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/11-0025/

That is nice, but to be honest I have all the stuff needed to get this done tonight using the above mentioned items. I just need some help in deciding which is going to be the best option given what I have to work with.

That is nice, but to be honest I have all the stuff needed to get this done tonight using the above mentioned items. I just need some help in deciding which is going to be the best option given what I have to work with.

Here's what I wound up doing:

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

It's a 4oz flask, I drilled a hole in it, and strapped it down with a big hose clamp. It's on there good too!

I do still need to drill a vent hole and get a fine mesh screen and cover the hole, but all in all I am pretty stoked. I just hope it's big enough, otherwise I may have to go find a larger flask.

• Like 1

that thing is an 08? You ride much or do you ride in slippers, cause the side case coating looks great and I trashed mine in about 2 rides....

Bump the radiator cap to a 1.6 bar unit, put a good coolant addative in it, and mount that thing someplace else... I take it you don't ride in much brush or trees, that thing would get ripped off in a matter of moments riding up here. First log crossing that wasn't successfully negotiated and that flask would be drug to death...

I don't see a vent on your overflow bottle. How do you expect it to fill or to allow the return of coolant? It should be mounted higher, too.

Gray, I mentioned in my post with the pics I still needed to put a vent hole on it. Turns out I found an 8oz flask today so I will be mounting that one tonight. Pics of the revised version to come.

@mk I ride about every other weekend, just trail riding. I have Alpine Star boots. Guess they don't rub that much, once the paints starts to really come off I am going to take it somewhere and have them sand blast the paint off and go for the bare metal look.

What's the need for this mod on a YZ ? If you need a coolant recovery bottle why not just fit a WR bottle behind the side panel ? First thing that comes to my mind with your pics is a rock smashing the bottle.....

The need comes from the heat down here. Plus when riding in dunes and heavy sand this thing gets HOT. I have seen it puke on more than a few occasions and cringed every time.

I did not want to run the tubing all the way to the back is the simple answer.

If a rock does fling up and smash this thing I may consider getting one, but it seems pretty beefy to me, so only time will tell if it holds up. I will report back later on and let you know.

Below is a pick of the overflow canister I use on my '07 WR450. However, I have it mounted on the interior of the frame near the kick starter/carb. It only holds two ounces but it has worked wonderful in the technical trails. Without going down to the garage I would guess it's about 1" diameter and 4" in length. I cut off the tabs in order to mount to the cutout/crevice in the frame.

Canister_Mounted_550.jpg

Source: dirtwerkz.com

You can read more about the cannister Here

Gunner is RIGHT about Evans NPG-R. You can find more information about NPG-R and other Evans products Here

I discovered Evans while researching the Zip Ty Racing Waterless Coolant--for my CR150RB mini-motard. My experience with it has convinced me to use it in all vehicles. Now if I can find the time to replace the coolant in my new YZ450!

• 1 month later...
I got an 8oz flask and rigged it up. I also drilled a hole in the top and then gorilla glued a fine wire mesh screen over the hole to help prevent dust/mud from going in. Tell me what you think?

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9675.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

Now just shot show off pics. =) ?

IMG_9668.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

This design has two problems.

1) the location of the supply hose to the flask does not allow for the vacuum pressure to pull the coolant back into the radiator. The hose from the radiator should go to the bottom. Otherwise, it wont work.

2) in the desert where I ride, an overflow bottle in that particular location would last about 10 minutes before its smashed. You gotta relocate it.

Am I wong?

I would add that by poking the hole in the top of that flask and putting screen over hole you are still going to get dust in the flask. When you wash the bike you're going to get a bunch of old, dirty water in there too. Flask vent should be a hose facing downward, like a carb vent. Sorry, but to me, that set-up looks like recipe for worn out water pump seals.