Rear Brake Reservior

Anyone know who makes an aluminum rear brake reservior? Mine keeps melting from the exhaust pipe. Never did it before last week. Haven't touched or changed anything. :) Don't know why it is doing it now.

I seem to recall Procircuit making one but they don't have it on their web site. I am going to fabricate a hanger to lower it away from the pipe but sould still like a stronger one.

Wouldn't it be easier to space your pipe in a bit ? :)

Mine hasn't melted yet, but i'm thinking about making a little aluminium heat shield. I'll head out to the garage later and check it out. I'll let you know what I come up with. :)

Dan, get some of the heat tape that is behind the number plate ( right side) and wrap it around the reservoir. It's a quick fix but it seems to work on my bike. WR Dave.

Dan, I had a look at my reservoir earlier tonight. It seems it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a aluminium/stainless heat shield, but after reading WR Dave's reply, I thought of using the Hi-Temp' type exhaust wrap that drag cars etc use.http://www.thermotec.com/technology/material/material.html If you just used it on the section of exhaust behind the reservoir, it should cut down the temp' enough to stop the meltdown. Hope this helps, Chris. :)

I just ordered a new stock brake reservior today. Pro Circuit makes aluminum ones but they only list them for Kawasakis, and they are $63!

Mine has lasted me 4 years and it only cost around $15 new. I'll just put that on the list of wear items like chain sliders, grips, etc.

I melted one last year also. Its a fairly common problem. The resivour is only like $12. Keep a spare around.

If it just started doing this. Check and make sure that the mounting tab hasn't been bent inward. Thats a common thing to have happen. Either by your foot or by a crash.

I like the idea of trying to space the pipe away from the frame with a few washers on the mount by your foot.

I was going to also say that Pro Circuit makes one from what I have heard. Ive never seen it myself though. Pick up tha phone and call them.

i could be wrong, but i thought i noticed that the new yz has a different rear master cylinder and no resovoir ! bit of an expensive fix to replace it, but will look smarter :)

Dan,

On both my YZ and WR I just bent the mounting bracket out away from the bike about a 1/4 inch and slightly bent the outer guard to match. Have not had a melting problem since. I did notice that right side crashes tend to push on the outer guard eventually pushing the master cylinder into the exhaust pipe, and has become a routine maintenance check item.

Bonzai :)

The '03 WR450 has the reservior built into the master cylinder, a nice one piece job. Not sure if it will fit or not, but there is a guy in the "For Sale" section parting out a '03 WR450 and he has a rear master cylinder for sale. You might want to give that a try...

Dan I had the same problem, untill I put some termoshield tape around the pipe near the reservoar. Now everithing is ok after 5 months of abuse. try http://www.thermotec.com/