Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drick

'09 450f chain guard to address chain slap noise?

14 posts in this topic

ok, so i did a bunch of reading last night and see that chain slap is very common and expected on these bikes.

i just have the stock chain guide on the bike right now, is there any kit made to address this yet from anyone, or is still a home brew fix (weather seal, silicone, steel plates, etc.)?

in advance of questions i anticipate will be asked

1 - I'm not clear if my chain is set perfectly after we disassembled the bike to do the bearing greasing and what not.

2 - i have 3 weekends of rides in (under 20hrs on bike)

3 - chain is lubed every ride

A TM designs chain slider completely eliminated my chain slap even when the chain is on the slack side of specs. It also does a hell of alot better job of keepng my chain aligned properly.

Pricy but a good fix. My stock slider was worn out so it was time to change and what a difference :ride:

I've heard weather stripping under the stock slider also works.

A TM designs chain slider completely eliminated my chain slap even when the chain is on the slack side of specs. It also does a hell of alot better job of keepng my chain aligned properly.

Pricy but a good fix. My stock slider was worn out so it was time to change and what a difference :ride:

I've heard weather stripping under the stock slider also works.

thanks tribal, which one did you get?

this one:

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16477&cat=&page=

or this one:

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16553&cat=&page=

or something else i missed?

As Tribal said, I put a thin strip of weather seal under my chain guide which elimnated the chain slap. When mine wears out, I will be going with the TM Designs as well.

BTW, it's not the rear chain guide that has the slap issue, it is the front one that wraps around the front part of the swingarm (included in your 2nd picture).

1 person likes this

As Tribal said, I put a thin strip of weather seal under my chain guide which elimnated the chain slap. When mine wears out, I will be going with the TM Designs as well.

BTW, it's not the rear chain guide that has the slap issue, it is the front one that wraps around the front part of the swingarm (included in your 2nd picture).

so just so i'm %100 sure, it's this kit right?

T.M. DESIGNWORKS LLC :: MX-Off Road Products :: "FACTORY EDITION" Chain Slide-N-Guide Kits

YCP-77K = Yamaha 2 & 4 Stroke Baja Discount Kit #16553

p.s. thanks tribal and kenshaw for the information, i appreciate your guys help!

so just so i'm %100 sure, it's this kit right?

T.M. DESIGNWORKS LLC :: MX-Off Road Products :: "FACTORY EDITION" Chain Slide-N-Guide Kits

YCP-77K = Yamaha 2 & 4 Stroke Baja Discount Kit #16553

Yes, that is the one. You can get it a bit cheaper here at TT.

BTW, you don't need to buy all 3 componets. Right now I just have the chain guide (by the rear sprocket).

Yes, that is the one. You can get it a bit cheaper here at TT.

BTW, you don't need to buy all 3 componets. Right now I just have the chain guide (by the rear sprocket).

maybe I'm missing it, but i didn't see the individual components?

kenshaw's got you covered there :ride:

I now have both, chain guide was first, toasted stock one after year and a half. Then this year I needed to replace the slider.

The TM chain guide takes some major abuse and doesn't

bend like the stock steel one.

looking at those links, it appears that neither are offered for the 2009 WR450?

i believe that the 2008 model(s) should fit though, right?

sweet, i have one on order, thanks for all the help!

finally showed up, and got it installed today, it looks like it will definitely address the issue.

fyi, i got the factory connection model and I'm optimistic!