picked up my brp yesturday!

picked up my 2000 brp... i'd been waiting for it for 2 months now... it's got all the goodies and then some as far as power up goes... bought a set of pro tapers too... i'm going to be motarding this bad machine, but before i do that i'm riding it on dirt to get used its steering ect, even caught some good air on it last night... and this bike doesn't feel heavy at all... and she hauls some serious ass! I love it ! allthough i've got a question for some of you guys... it feels like the clutch slips at higher rpm's, now the previous owner had upgraded the clutch springs to the heavier ones... i'm kinda wondering if maybe he used some car synthetic oil and that is messing with the wet clutch? anyone ever had their brp clutch do this? :D im going to pull it apart today to have a look in there.... anyways I wanted to share my news with you guys! I can't wait to go ride it later! YEEEHAWW!!! ?

Its best to start with you own choice of oil with any new bike. I always dump whatever is in there and put in what I'm familar with. The fact that the previous owner took the time and trouble to upgrade springs shows that there may have been some trouble in the past.

Perhaps you are just spinning the tire - ?

Many times, especially when riding in the dirt, wheelspin can and will mimick clutch slippage. However, this bike does not require heavier springs, mine has been fine on the stock springs. There are possibilities here, such as; the previous owner was using auto oils with friction modifiers, causing clutch slippage, and installed heavier springs to counter this? Or, possibly the previous owner abused the clutch and the plates are worn out, causing slippage.

I would suggest checking the clutch plates for wear, and replacing them if necessary. Make sure everything is installed correctly also. Then, replace the oil with a motorcycle only oil, such as Honda GN4 or equivalent. I have used ONLY Honda GN4 since my bike was new, and of course have never had any clutch problems. In fact, in the last 3 years, my bike has never had ANY type of problems, it's a very reliable bike so far. I think many problems begin to occur when people start changing and messing with things they don't know as much about as they think. Sure, install the power up kit, it's necessary. But adding heavier clutch springs?? I don't get that. Big four strokes don't need clutch assistance to get out of corners quickly like 125 two strokes do. I honestly don't know why anyone would install heavier clutch springs on a bike like this. The bike makes power from idle to upper mid range, so clutching is minimal, or should be anyway.

Yeah ,there is some heavier clutch springs then stock, but the stockers are probably fine for dirt, i've only heard motard guys complain! I tore the clutch apart yesturday and found that the springs were worn, the service limit in my honda service manual says any less the 46 mm and they need replacing , mine were at 45 mm... it's a good thing I work in the parts department at my local Honda shop ? anyways, I love this bike, and I can't wait to turn it into an SM myself :-)

Mine was slipping in 4th and 5th, at WFO, when I first got it as well. Don't forget to check the clutch basket fingers, both inner and outer, for steel-plate-grooves. Yours is only 3 years old, so it should be O.K. Hinson makes strong clutch parts, and they are available just about anywhere motorcycle parts are sold.

I like to run Barnett HD springs. I had noticed some slipping with the bike stock (properly uncorked) in the dirt. (Street would have been worse I am sure) This was on a new bike without abusing the clutch...as the previous post states you do not have to abuse (or even use) the clutch in most circumstances. I use Regular Spectro w/ no friction mods. When I put new clutch plates in I removed that Judder spring set up that honda runs. I would recommend that you do the same. You'll get more contact area with a regualar plate than the judder plate (just order an extra regular friction plate). honda only runs this to allow the bike to start in gear easier...wh/ mine still does. I've had zero clutch problems since doing this and logged about 2000 miles non stop in Baja. Best of luck....

so i have to order up another plate the same as the one behind the judder plate? ( the little steel one the same diameter as the judder?) it makes sence, I just want to make sure I get the right part... thanks for the info ?

I like to run Barnett HD springs. I had noticed some slipping with the bike stock (properly uncorked) in the dirt. (Street would have been worse I am sure) This was on a new bike without abusing the clutch...as the previous post states you do not have to abuse (or even use) the clutch in most circumstances. I use Regular Spectro w/ no friction mods. When I put new clutch plates in I removed that Judder spring set up that honda runs. I would recommend that you do the same. You'll get more contact area with a regualar plate than the judder plate (just order an extra regular friction plate). honda only runs this to allow the bike to start in gear easier...wh/ mine still does. I've had zero clutch problems since doing this and logged about 2000 miles non stop in Baja. Best of luck....

I added an extra metal plate from a XR-600 clutch. I left the judder spring installed. Place the extra steel plate 1st with the judder spring assembly on top of it. Scott Summers has had a technical bulletin on this for a couple of years. http://www.srcinc.net/101-2clutch.htm

With the extra plate installed the clutch is capable of wearing to the service limits. You will have to let both clutch adjustments all the way out. If clutch pull is any heavier I can't tell it. It is still easier than an XR-100.