catostrophic 450 failure

hey guys i am new to this site however not new to dirtbikes i picked up a 450f with a toasted motor for 200 bucks. everything else on the bike is good, too tech suspension, fmf pipe 2 sets of plastics. the problem is the piston went through the cylinder followed closely by the rod, so the major parts i need would be a new piston, cylinder, crank and rod assembly, and a new set of cases , bearings , and gaskets, lets not forget the oil pump which caused the failure, im sure after sifting through the debris. so in a nutshell i need a motor so my question is what should i do? piece it back together or try to find a mystery motor on ebay if anyone has a motor running or not i would love to take it off there hands.

I would get a complete motor off ebay. There are sellers on ebay that part out brand new bikes, you can pick up a brand new complete motor for around $2000, that would mean you would have $2200 in the bike total. What year bike is it?

On the other hand....

There's a set of cases on eBay right now with a <$350 bid on it. The cylinder, crank and piston are all parts of a normal major rebuild, anyway. As long as the head's in good shape, you'd have a non-mystery engine with a new crank and a fresh top for about the same money. Pencil it out real quick and think about it.

I would part it out, and put the money toward a newer one that is running, with today's economy can get a good deal for 2500-3000 for a 07 around here, GA.

I would part it out, and put the money toward a newer one that is running, with today's economy can get a good deal for 2500-3000 for a 07 around here, GA.

The guy is from Manitoba, that same 07 450 would be worth 4-5 grand up here.

I say fix the bike and ither sell, or ride it.

if there was enough demand for bikes up here in manitoba a guy could make money buying down south and selling them up here. makes one wonder perhaps i should give up my part time walmart greeter job but on the other hand i get 10% off anything in the store

Dumping that much cash into a unknown is risky. What year???

I would be the similar year 450 and use that one for spares.

I would say rebuild it. once your done you should have a brand new engine. After all is said and done it should come out to be no more than $2000 if you do the work yourself. Buying an engine off ebay is risky.

if there was enough demand for bikes up here in manitoba a guy could make money buying down south and selling them up here. makes one wonder perhaps i should give up my part time walmart greeter job but on the other hand i get 10% off anything in the store

reason enough to stay, right?

Welcome to walmart!

i love working on my engines(especialy if they starts after), if you do id go for it, sound like lots of work.:ride:

200 bucks is charity.:thumbsup: