How many miles with Acerbis 3.3gal tank?

Hello WR owners,

On the 25th I leave for Big Bend with These guys. I have an Acerbis 3.3 gal tank mounted on a 2006 WR450F. I'm wondering what the average expected mileage would be with one of these tanks mounted?

We will be based at a hotel and may have to ride 30 miles or so before even hitting the jeep trails. Any more than that and we will trailer to the trail head.

My travel partner is riding an older XR400 with 4.0gal tank and our plan is to arrange rides with others that will be attending. They could be on big GS's, V-Stroms, KLR's and others but most likely we will group with other XR's, DRZ's and WR's.

This is my first Duel Sport ride and I have no idea what the WR's range could be with 3.3gal much less the stock tank. Hoping to hear of your experiences and suggestions.

It depends on how and where you ride. Typically, I can get 100 miles out of my tank with some to spare. I have a 2005

But if you are going to put 60 miles to and from the hotel, that leave a little more than 40 for the trail ride? Doesn't seem to sound right. there has to be a gas stop along the way, isn't there?

It depends on how and where you ride. Typically, I can get 100 miles out of my tank with some to spare. I have a 2005

But if you are going to put 60 miles to and from the hotel, that leave a little more than 40 for the trail ride? Doesn't seem to sound right. there has to be a gas stop along the way, isn't there?

There isn't much out there. I'm thinking of strapping a 1gal. tank to the seat for a longer ride. Or perhaps carrying some gas cans out with the truck the evening before and marking the location with GPS.

I don't plan to ride very aggressive since we are so far from anything. The terrain and trails can be very different depending on the area. I've heard of problems with deep sand and mud that sticks like glue. There are stories of having to dig the mud out from between the rear tire and fender in order to move on.

We may end up having to trailer a little more than planned.

Thanks for your input.

I have never ran out since i went to the 3.3gal, but have have gone 90+ miles with very limited road use with no problems many times, but it is definately low when I get back. I personally wouldnt plan more than a 100 mile ride without fuel just to be safe.

I used to run out all the time with the stock tank at around 45 miles or so.

Thanks for the replies. Not much problem on this ride with higher speeds. I'm thinking the hard ball speed limit in the park is 45mph. I visited the area two or three years ago on my street bike and remember that the rangers like to patrol the roads. That and wind blown sand in the corners.

Try this:

Have you ever heard of the "Platipus" water bladers. You can find them in many sizes at any REI or any store that sells backpacking supplies. I have used them for years while backpacking. They are basically a heavy plastic bladers made to carry liquids, mainly water. When you are done with them they roll up realy small and tuck away nice.

I have been using them to store extra fuel for many years and they hold up great! I have never had a problem with the fuel eating away at them. I have turned many other riders in my group on to them. I have a big Clarke tank but I often strap a large one between the number plate area and cross bar pad of my Sons bike during long rides. When his tank gets low enough, I emplty the blader into the tank, roll it up, place it in the backpack, and forget it was even there. I have been using the same one to hold extra fuel for many years.

Hey, they also make a mini flask sized blader. It makes it easy to turn an over priced $9 coke at a rock concert in to a very well priced $9 jack and coke : )

All that about fuel...and I also carry a 25' strap (also from REI that is used for rappelling) that I use in case someone needs to be towed out. And of course Murphy's law holds true....the time when I forget to pack it is the time we need it, when I have it it is rarely used!! :ride:

200 miles??????????

I had a trip last August with my '05 WR450 and went 145 miles on one stretch of an 810 mile round trip without hitting reserve. I was averaging over 50 mpg the whole trip, neck and neck on fuel consumption with a KTM 450 EXC. I think the reserve on the tank is about 0.5 gal, because on that one 145 mile leg I filled up right at 2.7 gallons.

I'm not sure on the milage of the tank but I do know about the land out there. I'm assuming you are riding in bid bend park, so are you staying at the longhorn motel at Study Butte? The only gas station around is in Study Butte so plan ahead. There is deep sand, more along the lines of silt in some areas but not to bad, as well as nasty mud. If if looks like mud, it is, and it will suck you in like crazy. if there are any water crossings then they are one of two things, either shallow and rock bottom or deep and muddy with quick sand. I've gotten stuck out there in quick sand in our UTV, looked like regular ol sand, but took us hours to get out. We usually go down there about 4 or so times a year, you picked the best time to go ride for sure!

I'm not sure on the milage of the tank but I do know about the land out there. I'm assuming you are riding in bid bend park, so are you staying at the longhorn motel at Study Butte? The only gas station around is in Study Butte so plan ahead. There is deep sand, more along the lines of silt in some areas but not to bad, as well as nasty mud. If if looks like mud, it is, and it will suck you in like crazy. if there are any water crossings then they are one of two things, either shallow and rock bottom or deep and muddy with quick sand. I've gotten stuck out there in quick sand in our UTV, looked like regular ol sand, but took us hours to get out. We usually go down there about 4 or so times a year, you picked the best time to go ride for sure!

We will be staying here>http://www.cmcm.cc/big_bend_lodging_001.htmChismos Mining Company.

Yes, I've heard of the sand and mud hazards, guys being stuck in the desert overnight until someone in a truck and can come back and pick them up. Should be a fun trip. We start our ten hour drive this Thursday early am.

Local weather is calling for another 1-3 inches of snow here in DFW after last weeks twelve inches. Big Bend area is still under a burn ban and should still be experiencing normal temps.

Thanks for all the tips. They will come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the tips. This one came in handy:) Truth be told. We were in such a hurry to ride I neglected to top off the first morning. Only had two gallons in the tank. The highway was only one mile ahead, just over the rise. 1.5 miles to the station. live and learn.

ojf3g7.jpg