Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz007f

Honda Steering Damper on 09' YZF 450

17 posts in this topic

I'm in the works right now, of working on a way to put a honda steering damper on my 09' 450. I'm going to use the stock bottom triple clamp for now,and going to work on making a bracket to mount the damper to the frame. I know there is one kit out there that you can buy, but it's worth $695.00!!!!!. To me that is waaaaay to much money when you can just buy a oem one off ebay for just over 100 bucks. I know you can buy aftermarket dampers but I want to make this so you can not see it on the bike (like j-laws 450).

My question is has anyone done this yet? I did see on the Ride engineering site they are selling triple clamps with the mount and frame mounts but for right now its just for the 10' yzf. Also there was a site called bonz or something I did see on here but they only have mounts for the crfs. To me I would rather make it than buy it!

Please let me know if anyone has any input on this.

Thanks,

yz007f

I know people have tapped into the head tube and use a spacer to connect it to the headtube.

I think I'm going to use the bolt holes that are used to hold the cdi box mount to the frame.

The difference between the Honda HPSD and the aftermarket units is the HPSD only works off center . So it will not help with headshake or anything from center like the aftermarket units.

The HPSD is meant to aid the cornering of the bike when the bars are turned. that is it!

It's a bit hard on the bearings, but some of the guys I race with clamp down pretty tight on their steer tubes to get rid of some of the headshake. I haven't tried it yet, but if you don't mind servicing the bearings more often, it's a free fix and would save you the trouble and expense. :ride:

I know there's times my '09 450 is pretty stable and others where the headshake can get a bit unnerving. I still need to revalve though, so I hope I can work it out through suspension set-up. Especially since I'm at 5mm on the fork tubes now and want to try 8mm to see if I can get it to turn a little better.

I'm sure thats the reason why other professional teams and riders are running the damper lol

JGR yamaha , pro circuit , star racing, ktm, j-law racing.. etc those guys must like adding garbage to their bike. :ride:

did you ever think that maybe just maybe its not a honda damper on those bikes..

did you ever think that maybe just maybe its not a honda damper on those bikes..

You're right, it's a showa damper that was specifically made for honda.

If you don'e believe me... check out this link:

http://www.ride-engineering.com/products.php?d=1&p=bm&pn=YZ-SHSB4-00

"Ride Engineering is the first company to offer a way to mount the Showa steering stabilizer (available at any Honda dealer; msrp $245) onto another brand. This MX style stabilizer was originally developed by Ricky Carmichael in his days as a factory Honda rider. Today you will find one rigged behind the front number plate of most top level national pros. The 2010 YZ450 is the first bike that the average customer can now simply bolt one of these stabilizers on, using this bracket and a set of our newly developed YZ triple clamps (A bracket for the YZ250F will be available soon)."

you either like 'em or do not like steering dampners....

I own a scotts dampner and prefer it for 100% woods riding vs MX.

I would want to ride a modified yami with a showa dampner before I would go through this exercise.....and cost

keep in mind the pros that run these - they are not set to stock Showa settings, so there is much tuning and testing that you will have to invest in....

hmmm I would rather just ride....

you either like 'em or do not like steering dampners....

I own a scotts dampner and prefer it for 100% woods riding vs MX.

I would want to ride a modified yami with a showa dampner before I would go through this exercise.....and cost

keep in mind the pros that run these - they are not set to stock Showa settings, so there is much tuning and testing that you will have to invest in....

hmmm I would rather just ride....

No doubt, but if you already have one from your previous bike (like myself) its a no brainer to throw it on the new bike and try it out. I've just been swapping oils to make it have more of less resisitance as opposed to getting it re-valved.

No doubt, but if you already have one from your previous bike (like myself) its a no brainer to throw it on the new bike and try it out. I've just been swapping oils to make it have more of less resisitance as opposed to getting it re-valved.

agreed - It may be a hot ticket

at worst it will sux and you will hate it.....:ride:

The Showa damper is naturally progressive due to the way it mounts and moves. Since the damper is perpendicular to the triple clamp at center, it moves little near center, and so it's damping near center is less than toward the extremes of steering travel.

But this is also true of the Scotts to a degree. The Scotts is set up internally so that damping increases progressively as the steering moves away from center. The difference with the Scotts is that it does, or can, have a higher degree of near center damping than the Showa is capable of, and that the progression from center is adjustable.

I have the HPSD damper mounted to my 09 YZ450F right now and wrote about it quite a while ago. Yes, I misspelled "damper" in the original post.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846426

It works great. You all are right, it doesn't stop headshake right at center but it does stop it just off center where headshake takes the bars naturally anyway. In other words, it does absolutely stop headshake. It really helps in holding lines in the corner as well as add confidence as the bike is starting to slip laterally.

One word of warning though, set it at one click in and adjust up from there if needed. I set it to three clicks when I first mounted it as the dampening felt so minimal, and could hardly ride the bike due to major loss of steering responsiveness. I currently run it at just one click in and it's great.

Good luck.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for some of the info guys!

I do think that I might have to re-valve the damper but I guess I'll have no idea until I try it. I have thought that if the teams are using them,then it has to help in some way. The dealership I ride for, has a really good shop so if I need anything custom made they can help me out. I don't mind taking my time and building one off parts to me its fun lol. Once I get my hands on a damper then I'll get some final pics it should turn out trick!