Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
umu24013

Clutch ball missing

4 posts in this topic

YZ426F. When taking apart my clutch, I noticed the lack of the ball that goes between Push rod 1 and Push rod 2.

There are slight groves on the rod surface (rod's outer end)

..and some wear at the other (inner) end

yz426f_clutch_pushrod.jpg

Any ideas, comments?

Edited by umu24013

The 2000 model didn't have one. That started with '01. As I recall, the outer push rods made for use with a ball have a small socket in the end of it that yours doesn't. Also, if the ball was missing from a 3 piece set, free play would be very difficult to set without running the cable adjusters to their limit.

The 2000 model didn't have one. That started with '01.

Thank you grayracer513 for the info!

As I recall, the outer push rods made for use with a ball have a small socket in the end of it that yours doesn't.

The other (smaller) rod has a small rounded bore inside the well. Why?

yz426f_clutch_pushrod2.jpg

Also, if the ball was missing from a 3 piece set, free play would be very difficult to set without running the cable adjusters to their limit.

My clutch cable adjusters already are at the very end of their limit. Worn out cable? (the clutch plates are in perfect condition)

Should I need to replace the long rod with a new one due to its wear (see the first pic)?

Thanks

The cable might be worn, but the wear on the rod may also be the cause of the cable needing to be run out so far. If the clutch itself wears, that reduces free play, so that's not it.

I'd replace the long rod at least, and check the condition of the business end of the release arm, too. You might think about replacing both rods with the 3 piece set from an '02.