Cams for 09

Both the intake and exhaust lift numbers are the same between both cams in both years. What changes is the lobe center offset (timing) in both cases.

Hey guys, I'm new to TT and am interested in some more info on this 06 cam change. I just picked up an 09 YZ450 leftover and am worried about the power delivery being to soft on the bottom. It's all you read about. I've been off a bike for 2 years and am now ready to get back on the track. So, what I would like to know is just the 06 exhaust cam or both? Exhaust with 06 cam(s)? Or just pipe stock motor (with changes to jetting etc.) My last bike was a 05 CRF450 which I liked power wise but turnig wasn't very good never really felt comfortable.(too much push) Thanks for your help.

Pipe first. If that doesn't do enough to suit you, add the cams. If you want to do it in stages, you can try just the exhaust cam first. Either way, as I said, changing the cams without changing the pipe is like hopping up the engine and then not putting gas in the tank.

There is also the opinion that the '06 CDI is mapped for more bottom end, too. Makes sense, but I don't know for certain.

I did a Dr.D exhaust already and while it was a definite improvement, I still want more on the bottom. I don't live on the rev limiter, I'd rather be able to blow out of the corners a little faster.

I do like the top end though when I'm in a drag race up the hills at Glen Helen or on a long straight, been able to make quite a few passes there. I wonder if I'll lose some of that ability with the '06 cams. :ride:

Thanks for the help Gray, I'm just trying to figure out all my options for increasing power with the budget my wife will allow. I need to get on it and ride to see how it feels but, work and crappy weather is killing me.:ride: Anybody have any experience with going a tooth bigger with rear sprocket?

My last bike was a 05 CRF450 which I liked power wise but turnig wasn't very good never really felt comfortable.(too much push).

Well, at least you know nobody complains about the cornering prowess of the 09 :ride:

Thanks for the help Gray, I'm just trying to figure out all my options for increasing power with the budget my wife will allow. I need to get on it and ride to see how it feels but, work and crappy weather is killing me.:ride: Anybody have any experience with going a tooth bigger with rear sprocket?

Depending on the track I'll be on, I'll bounce between a 49 and a 50. I keep missing the GP's my club holds, but when I finally get to one I'll drop down to a 48 for a little more top speed on the wide open sections. The 50 gives me a little more agility on a tight track with jumps right out of turns and short straights. On the less technical tracks with long straights, fewer jumps and more need for top speed, I'll go back to the 49.

If I was just going to ride desert, I could probably leave the 49 and be happy. But a lot of my desert riding buddies have wide ratio enduro's and it would be tough to keep up, a 48 might be better. I run a 48 on the YZ426 I use to play in the desert and it taps out when they cruise along. I haven't used my 450 for playing in the desert yet, so this is all speculation based on my 426.

Well, at least you know nobody complains about the cornering prowess of the 09 :ride:

What are you trying to say the '09 YZ turns just as bad as the '05 CRF?

What are you trying to say the '09 YZ turns just as bad as the '05 CRF?

I do not have any problems with it, but thats me. I did chuckle when I read that though, do a search on it. These bikes are very sag sensitive. Just ride the bike first and THEN decide what you want to change. The 06 cam swap looks interesting to me too.

Set the sag to 105mm and then push the forks up in the triple clamp to get it to turn like you want.

Tried something else last weekend. Put a 06 cdi on sons 07. Starts WAY BETTER. Usaully took 4-5 kicks, now 1-2 when cold. Has more low end bark. Pulls all the way to rev limiter.

OK, everyone knows that the 08-09 exhaust system sucks.:thumbsup: I was just wondering if there would be anything I could do to increase the bottom and mid hit while retaining the stock exhaust, such as different cams, ignition, port and polish, etc..

The CDI will help, the cams will help, and a nearly free stock exhaust system from an '06 will help tremendously. Port work won't.

The CDI will help, the cams will help, and a nearly free stock exhaust system from an '06 will help tremendously. Port work won't.

Do you think the power gained with those items be better than an aftermarket exhaust? Port work will produce no power gains? I'm on a very limited budget (newly married w/kid on the way) and am just tying to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks:thumbsup:

Do you think the power gained with those items be better than an aftermarket exhaust?
No. But the CDI is probably #2. Port work is more effective at extending the high end power, and good port work is not cheap. Note that with the three valve intake, it's easier to loose power than to gain it by messing around blindly with a grinder.

If you want the biggest bang for the buck, search for a used '06 system. Should be able to find one for under $200 complete quite easily. I believe you can use an '06 muffler on the '08 header if you buy a seal for an '07. Check with TT member KJ790 on that point.

Thanks for the help Gray.:thumbsup: The CDI you speak of, is that also off the 06 or aftermarket? If it is an '06 CDI would the '06 cams need to be used with it TO optimize performance. What I'm trying to do is reseach/search for ideas (facts not hype) on how to easily change the power characteristics from one track to another. Some tracks I run the stock '09 will work great, some I would like the hit of the '03 and some in between, '06. I've been searching this forum for about a month straight. Got some useful info but not enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The CDI you speak of, is that also off the 06 or aftermarket? If it is an '06 CDI would the '06 cams need to be used with it TO optimize performance.

The CDI is an OEM '06 unit. Yes to the cam question, but the '09 pipe will fight against the improvement.

Try and find a good used cdi from a 06 bike. Im going to add the 06 cams to my sons 07 tonite and ride this weekend out doors. He rode it with just the cdi indoors last weekend and loved it. I got my stuff used from a fellow TT member.

The difference in the case of the '07 vs. the '08-9 is that the '07 has a remapped ignition and closer lobe centering compared with the '06. This same thing is also true of the '09, but the '07 did not have a restrictive exhaust system.

Try and find a good used cdi from a 06 bike. Im going to add the 06 cams to my sons 07 tonite and ride this weekend out doors. He rode it with just the cdi indoors last weekend and loved it. I got my stuff used from a fellow TT member.

Keep us updated.:thumbsup:

I never would of thought I would buy an '09 and end up changing it to an '06 (motor wise):ride:

Does anyone have any knowledge on the power characteristics of an '06 piped vs. '09 piped. Where's most of the power in each.