Cams for 09

Has anybody put cams in a 09 yz450? Any ideas?

Yep. I put a set of YZ 06 cams, ignition box and stator in mine and i love it. Had a donner bike.

Why the stator?

Yep. I put a set of YZ 06 cams, ignition box and stator in mine and i love it. Had a donner bike.

You had a Donner (party) bike? I guess I can see one dirt bike getting extremely hungry and eating the internal engine parts of another machine. I am sorry,I am not being a jerk, it made me laugh so I had to share.

Soot

06 and 09 stators had different part #. Wanted to make sure 09 had the bark of my 06. Plus all my covers (valve,clutch,oil filter, and stator ) had been bead blasted to clean them up.

Nothing about the stator affects the "bark". All timing and mapping is done within the CDI. As far as I know, the difference in the late stator is the addition of a third mounting bolt, which was added because Yamaha felt that the stator failures in the '07's were in part caused by the stator not being fixed solidly enough to the case cover.

Cool. Then I have a spare. I will take it apart and bead blast that cover also. Now i need to find some more 06 cams and cdi and do this to my 07

Edited by mx369

I still want to know what a "donner" bike is... :ride:

DONER I have fat fingers. Like heart doner .

"Donor". :ride:

So, do you really get that much improvement with the '06 cams that's worth losing some top end? I have an '09 and was reading a mag write up that mentioned changing the exhaust cam to the '06, but Gray, you've mentioned the loss in top end. :ride:

I havent lost any top end that I can feel

I havent lost any top end that I can feel

Is there a noticeable change? I like the power of the '09, but it would be nice to have a little more hit. What exactly does the '06 cam gain?

There's a difference of close to two HP between the '06 and the '08-'09 models on the dyno, with the latter being the more powerful on top. But the curve of the '06, especially when a little flywheel weight is added, is so wide and flat that the bike may actually be faster in the real world than it's newer brothers. The '06 is certainly a more enjoyable engine to ride, IMO.

I just thought about something else here. Im using my 06 FMF 4.1 with megabomb header. It has a shorter headpipe that my 07. Doesnt the short head pipe give more top end where the long head pipe gives more bottom end for like SX? Ive only riden with the 06 pipe. Maybe thats why I didnt loose top end. Im going to try the 07 on it when it dries out some

Graycar,

The Dr. D pipe is a 5 to 6 hp gain on the 09 model. This should make it better than the 06 cam in an 09. Very happy with the 09 and Dubach pipe. Very broad power.

Graycar,

The Dr. D pipe is a 5 to 6 hp gain on the 09 model. This should make it better than the 06 cam in an 09. Very happy with the 09 and Dubach pipe. Very broad power.

The power gain is in and around the 5500 RPM range, where the '08-'09 is so soft with the factory pipe. The top end gain is only about .5, if any. It is a huge improvement, but the '06 with the same pipe still has more grunt than yours does.

It should be mentioned, I suppose that changing cams won't be very effective as long as the OEM pipe is still in place.

So, the intake is the same, just the exhaust is different, right?

different part #s I think.

Different part numbers on the intake, but are they the same grind? What's different?

I know the exhaust is two different grinds.