Setting Valve Clearance Question

istockphoto_6125812-pencil-and-paper.jpg

lol, wheres the buttons on that thing at?

new shim size = current clearance + current shim - desired clearance

yeah well your "new shim size" would be "x"....Waa-Laa, Algebra !:ride:

P.S.-ever notice if using the Hot Cams shim kits that many of the shims that are labeled the same are not ground to the same thickness.

yeah well your "new shim size" would be "x"....Waa-Laa, Algebra !:bonk:
It's subtraction. By that logic, everything is algebra. :ride:
"A band conductor wants chairs set up for his concert. It's a 52 piece band, and he wants 4 rows of chairs, each with two fewer chairs than the one behind it. How many chairs are in the back row?"
That's algebra.

Never used the Hot Cams kit. Waste of money unless you're running a small shop. Interesting to know though. Imagine putting the "right" shim in and getting the wrong result. :D

...And it's "voilà", by the way. :lol:

I reject your algebra and foreign language action, Gray.

Hot Cams kit: I have two sets of both size shims as I do the valves for several people that are either lazy, ignorant, cheap or all of the above. (Usually charge a case of beer or "clean my garage".:ride:) The kits have three of each size of these two will generally differ by a few thou. All will differ by a few ten-thou. Gotta mic each one.

It's subtraction. By that logic, everything is algebra. :ride:

That's algebra.

Never used the Hot Cams kit. Waste of money unless you're running a small shop. Interesting to know though. Imagine putting the "right" shim in and getting the wrong result. :bonk:

...And it's "voilà", by the way. :lol:

10 chairs

Reread the problem.

10 front.... 16 back.... that is what my daughter has problems with word problems....

10 + 12 + 14 + 16 = 52

"A band conductor wants chairs set up for his concert. It's a 52 piece band, and he wants 4 rows of chairs, each with two fewer chairs than the one behind it. How many chairs are in the back row?"

Trick question...percussion instrument players don't use chairs. :ride:

damn I had it backwards....fail

Well, you had the right answer for the front row :lol::ride:

hey man... just been doing alot of 6th grade math lately.....:ride:

yeah well I tried to use an algebraic equation to solve and I failed miserably. Writing numbers down on paper was much easier for me...lol and I used to be good at this stuff