HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
96warrior

oil strainer

9 posts in this topic

Well I pulled, accidently broke off some fo the light blue wire. Installed my frame gaurds, changed the oil filter , and drained the oil.

But I cannot get the oil strainer to break loose. The biggest size metric wrench I have is a 22(what siz is it?). Every fastener I've loosened so far is rediculasly tight. What size does it take, and has anyone else had this problem. I don't want to strip it anymore then it already is.

I had the same problem, it must be a Michigan thing. I gave up rather than totally screwing it up or worse yet :) .

Sorry I could'nt offer any help...but I feel your pain.

On my 250F, I believe it is a 19mm. I had to remove the hose first (which was a TOTAL PAIN) and then use a socket to remove the strainer.

And yes, it seemed like every fastener on the bike was super tight.

So I should try to remove the hose? :) I wanna ride tommorow! I don't want to mess the hose up though. And I wanna see if it starts easier now. :D

the bolts are tight cos if they aint the vibration of the engine will loose you loads of nuts and bolts.. I learnt to use a little blue loctite when i re-assemble anything on mine.. :)

Well you have to to get the strainer off. I used a small screwdriver, pliers w/ a rag and WD-40 to try and loosen the hose until I finally got it off.

Spray the WD-40 inside the hose while trying to pry it open with the screwdriver. Be careful not to rip or damage the hose.

GOOD LUCK! :)

does the strainer have a copper washer?mine does not,and after i changed the oil it drips. :)

It's supposed too have one. Are you sure it just didn't stick to the frame when you pulled it out, mine did.

I got it off! Got a tip from a yz 426 owner, and got help from a friend. You have to take the line off that goes into the case. Pull back the hose a bit with needle nose pliers, then yank it off. I got the strainer unturned with a 15/16 box end wrench. It fit nicely on the newly rounded corners. You need to have someone there(to hang on to the bike) while you beat on the wrench. But I did not find ANYTHING in there, it was perfectly clean. I'm glad I finnaly got to ride my bike again.