I am an IDIOT!!!

So I started re-assembly on my 98 WR400 today. I was pressing the bearings into the case. The right side went great. I froze the bearings and heated the case in the oven and all was well.

The left side... another story. The crank bearing went in great. When I got to the counter shaft bearing it was a bit hard going in, so like a dumb ass I forced it and CRACK:bonk::ride::lol: The case cracked around the outside at the lower part of the bearing suraface.

Now my question is: I need a new case half. Can I buy just the left side, or do I have to buy as a pair? Has anyone replaced one side without any problems?

Thanks

Bad news...the cases are machined as a matched set, so you have to buy both...keep an eye out on e-Bay...

Just bought a set on ebay. $150 THANKS

Cool. I know I don't need to say this, but double check the new bearing against the old bearing. On my 426, that really wasn't a heavy press fit...

Thanks, I will. I think I may have gotten it in slightly out of straight. I will be more patient next try.

So I started re-assembly on my 98 WR400 today. I was pressing the bearings into the case. The right side went great. I froze the bearings and heated the case in the oven and all was well.

The left side... another story. The crank bearing went in great. When I got to the counter shaft bearing it was a bit hard going in, so like a dumb ass I forced it and CRACK:bonk::ride::lol: The case cracked around the outside at the lower part of the bearing suraface.

Now my question is: I need a new case half. Can I buy just the left side, or do I have to buy as a pair? Has anyone replaced one side without any problems?

Thanks

Put those bearings in dry-ice next time. You should not have to heat the cases up. The bearing should drop in. Do a YOUTUBE search.. I think there is an install there.

Sweet phynx i'll try the dry ice but might heat up the cases just for good measure. Now I have to get the new bearings out of the old case. If the old cases are worthless now, I was thinking a little coaxing with the chisel around bearing locating surface so I don't have to put any pressure on the bearing?

I am an IDIOT!!!

welcome to my world

welcome to my world

Oh oh! Whatcha do?:ride:

Oh oh! Whatcha do?:ride:

to many things to list since the time ive started riding untill now. haha. i gues u can expect that to happen when u start trying to work on ur bikes at 10 years old. Im only 16 now. i mess shit up and then dear old dad needs to come in and help fix it. (and pay for it) haha.