Enclosed trailer towing with 4.0 Ranger

I'm looking at buying an enclosed trailer to be towed by a '97 Ranger 2WD 4.0 V6 with a manual trans. I can't find an accurate tow rating for that configuration in particular. With auto and tow package it can tow 6,000 lbs, but how much less for the manual? It didn't come with a trailer hitch, so I'd assume it doesn't have a towing package.

Looking at something like a 6x12, which weigh 1,000-1,500 lb empty. Loaded would then be 2,500-3,000 lb; I added up everything I currently bring to the track, the heaviest is a drum of water which could be filled at about 1/2 of the tracks.

Something like this, although I will probably be shopping used...

6x12trailer.jpg

I'm looking at buying an enclosed trailer to be towed by a '97 Ranger 2WD 4.0 V6 with a manual trans. I can't find an accurate tow rating for that configuration in particular. With auto and tow package it can tow 6,000 lbs, but how much less for the manual? It didn't come with a trailer hitch, so I'd assume it doesn't have a towing package.

Looking at something like a 6x12, which weigh 1,000-1,500 lb empty. Loaded would then be 2,500-3,000 lb; I added up everything I currently bring to the track, the heaviest is a drum of water which could be filled at about 1/2 of the tracks.

Manual is usually same or more. I'd suspect that would be easily rated for 5000 lbs. Usually without town package, 3500 lbs, but still a snap for the trailer picture you have. It will be about 1900 lbs I bet.

My 07 ranger 4.0L 4x4 is rated for 3200 lbs aprox (manual) where the auto is rated for over 5000 lbs... go figure:bonk: Mine has 3.71 rear end in it.

I figure the manual has such a low tow rating because the clutch is so small.

My 07 ranger 4.0L 4x4 is rated for 3200 lbs aprox (manual) where the auto is rated for over 5000 lbs... go figure:bonk: Mine has 3.71 rear end in it.

I figure the manual has such a low tow rating because the clutch is so small.

The manuals are rated at just over half of the autos. My '98 4.0 auto is rated at 6,000. His '97 will be nearly identical to the '02 Ranger.

http://www.fordf150.net/ranger/ Hope this helps. (Click on specifications).

The manuals are rated at just over half of the autos. My '98 4.0 auto is rated at 6,000. His '97 will be nearly identical to the '02 Ranger.

http://www.fordf150.net/ranger/ Hope this helps. (Click on specifications).

MAX TOW 3.55 rear end

4.0L, 3.55, man trans>>>>>3280*

4.0L, 3.55, auto trans>>>>5820*

*bookmark*cool website...:ride:

Had similar set up, it will get there and will get very thirsty and definitely needs electric brakes. Good luck

+1 one on trailer brakes. The brakes are weak with any sort of weight in the truck. Try 1/2 of gravel in the back...?

The truck really needs a 4.1 in the rear. Cruising on the hwy at 2000 rpm is nice.... but having some decent gearing would be much better for towing and hauling. The truck already gets crap fuel mileage, might as well get a more useful truck.:ride:

Trailer brakes don't come on 6' wide trailers from what I've seen.

Dealers may not have them in stock on the lot, but they are available, usually as an additional option either at the factory or the dealer can install them.

If you can get brakes for $200, you'd be a fool not to.

I'm waiting to hear if this guy can put them on (if I go ahead with that new silver/black one). It looks like an easy job to do at home also. I think this is what I would need:

trailerbrakes.jpg

There's a place down in Dover, De that sells stuff like that cheap. I think John (Weiner Senior) paid $200 for 2 axle assemblies including breaks for the Sled trailer.