Which one to go for? yz450 2010 vs 2009

My dealer in Russia still got some 09's on sale for a good deal.

I need a bike for a supermoto, sometimes for offroad rides. Which one should I go for?

I like the 2010 alot but I am not sure if it is reliable enough. :ride:

2010...I have no idea what reliability issues you are talking about. Mine runs like a top.

There is only a short term reliability record to reference on the '10. It is a first year run with an entirely redesigned bike, those usually have bugs that need to be worked out. I imagine that's what he's worried about. There's guys saying they're going to wait till '11 because of this.

Luckily, it's a Yamaha, they have a pretty good track record as far as first year runs go. I would say the '10 would be a safe bet. :ride:

There is only a short term reliability record to reference on the '10. It is a first year run with an entirely redesigned bike, those usually have bugs that need to be worked out. I imagine that's what he's worried about.
A reasonable concern, most of the time, unless you look back at the '03 and '06 models, both of which were new designs, extremely reliable, and only got the usual annual revisions from one year to next.

A reasonable concern, most of the time, unless you look back at the '03 and '06 models, both of which were new designs, extremely reliable, and only got the usual annual revisions from one year to next.

How about the 98 and the 00? Also both very reliable first year models.

i elected to purchase a brand new 09 yz450f. the price was too sweet to pass up.

yeah, it's an 09 but i can live with it. i wouldn't be able to ride the 2010 model any faster than the previous yr makes. i just don't look as kewl lol.

also grew tired of waitin on it. good luck with ur decision

i elected to purchase a brand new 09 yz450f. the price was too sweet to pass up.

yeah, it's an 09 but i can live with it. i wouldn't be able to ride the 2010 model any faster than the previous yr makes. i just don't look as kewl lol.

I did the same for the same reasons. I'm sure the 2010 is an awesome bike but I just couldn't justify an extra 3K+ for the 10.

Edited by dvn

thnx everyone.

differents for me is 800 bucks which is not a lot and which is more importantly I just want a good bike for a supermoto:ride:. for some reasons everyone in Russia tells me that 2010 is crap but this forum makes me think different to their opinion... it looks like Im going for 2010, will see... i want to set up a headlight on my bike and there isn't any info on 2010 how to do that :ride:

I have an '08 and a '10.

I felt immediately comfortable on the '10 and it felt faster. Did not have a lap timer etc but the bike handles really really well. It feels much lighter than the '08 at speed.

One of these days I will write a review :ride:

thnx everyone.

differents for me is 800 bucks which is not a lot and which is more importantly I just want a good bike for a supermoto:ride:. for some reasons everyone in Russia tells me that 2010 is crap but this forum makes me think different to their opinion... it looks like Im going for 2010, will see... i want to set up a headlight on my bike and there isn't any info on 2010 how to do that :ride:

Yamaha does not make crap! I have had 6 bikes and one generator and never had a problem with any of them! I could not get the early YZ450s to turn very well and that is the only reason I went to Kawi for a few years! But I do not call that a problem! So far the 2010 is awesome, I am going to florida to ride for a week in the next month so I should have a better report if anyone cares!

i want to set up a headlight on my bike and there isn't any info on 2010 how to do that :ride:
It should be quite easy, and only a matter of whether there is the reserve capacity for it. At 140 watts, I should think there would be. The entire system runs on DC already, so I would approach it by branching off the main power lead leaving the rectifier/regulator, put a switch in it to keep the light from drawing down power on startup, and see how it works. Even if it doesn't, I don't see how it would hurt anything.

The 010 has been out here for a while now, and i have not heard of any horror stories with this bike, besides minor throttle glitches, not being able to see the fuel level, and some say a bit light in the front. Normally by now there would be some signs of major faults appearing in the forums, most guy's i know who have them, love'em, and to me look better riding them. Some of the c grade swappers are looking like Pro's :ride:

I too have an '08 and 2010. I have many hours of seat time on my dead nuts reliable '08 (which I love) but I have to say that my 2010 kicks serious butt. EFI is insanely responsive off the corner, pulls extremely smooth and the suspension (not even broke in yet) feels top notch. You guys that keep saying "wait for 2011 / work the bugs out / air filter is too tough to change" need to keep quite because you really dont know what your talking about. There was three years of riding development done on this bike and motor by Yamaha. Yamaha has the best reputation for reliability of the big 4 and nothing has changed here. They didnt just whip this bike up in the magic factory and expect to trick everyone into buying one. Yes, the looks arent for everyone, yes the filter is different and yes it is tough to see how much gas is in the tank and yes it even cost money... Big freakin deal! Get over it! The bike is good, but it wont make you Doug Dubach overnight. It does start with little effort (even in very cold conditions), it turns MUCH better than the '08/09. It has more room than the earlier versions and the power is purposful with a stock pipe (or FMF / aftermarket).

To your original question: I'm not Supermoto racer, but I do have considerable seat time on pavment and dirt. Having ridden both bikes you mentioned, I would clearly choose the 2010. Weight transfer, turn in, under and oversteer as well as overall balance of the 2010 would be to your advantage in Supermoto, in my opinion... Good luck!