2006 wont start

i am helping a friend get his bike ready for this season and the engine wont start. it runs while being pulled but when you pull in the clutch or stop it shuts off. when you give it throttle there is no response. when we try to kick it over there is no compresion. does this sound like valves or clogged jets????

Was the bike stored before hand? I would clean the carb real good, clean the air filter just as a piece of mind, check the plug for spark and possibly replace, check the valves and add fresh fuel, then try kicking again. You should not have to pull the bike for it to start.

Then grab a can of carb cleaner and use compressed air to aid in cleaning the carb. If you pull the slide out make sure the plate on the slide is put back on right or it will make it even worse and do not remove the tps from the carb body.

If it is flooded it will wash out the cylinder and will not have much compression.

Check the oil, smell it, does it smell like gas?

It could have stuck a valve and bent it?

Many things. Could have a broken ring? Could be it's beyond service limits and needs a new piston and rings as well as a valve job.

Many things.....

The few things you can do that don't cost much is a new plug, clean the carb thoroughly, make sure carb is adjusted correctly. Floats are right, ALL jets are clear and clean including air jets.................You said it had spark so it's likely a fuel issue but could be a bad ground on an electrical component?

ok thanks after i posted that and saw that the previous owners left marks on it so i got it all lined up.:ride: next thing that i am going to do is check the valves. i tried earlier but i couldnt get my feeler gauge into the middle and left gap. any ideas on how to do that?