2009 and 2010 YZ 450 comparison

Anyone here ever ride a 09 yz 450 and 2010 yz 450 back to back? I did today at NEMX and I found very little difference between the two. My 09 has a DR D pipe, Radiators lowered and extensive work done on the carb. I thought that they rode very similar, but I sat on top of the 2010 like a KTM and down in on the 09. Otherwise, I thought they handled pretty much the same, power was close, and suspension felt close. My suspension oil was just changed and this was my first ride since-so my suspension was fresh from Enzo (no revalve, just fluid and parts changes and set up like stock-which I like) Mind you this was not my bike (2010), so it might not be set up for me. It may have tracked on a flat corner a tad better, but my tires had some time on them. Maybe I wasn't as aggressive on the 2010 either.hard to say.o

Only things I changed on my 2009 was pipe, carb and a lowering kit for the radiators. Everything else is the same(brakes, pads, sprocket sizes, springs, bars, etc.) I think that the bike felt smother(as in the frame felt like it absorbed small bumps through the foot pegs better) but other wise felt like a yamaha. It does growl through the filter intake when you are on it though!

Just my thoughts. Is 2500 bucks better than a 2009? I didn't think so, but it did look cool!! that pointy fender is boss!!

and did I mention it sounded mean?!!!

Anyhow, anyone else do what I did yet?

With all the innovation and technology, let alone all the R&D and engineers hired to create such a project, you think 2500 more over last years unchanged model is quite minor to say the least. Yamaha was trying to create something that ultimately was easier to ride, easy to work on and make unique to each and every rider with the help with say the PowerTuner etc. To say that 09 is better than the 10 or vice versa is irrelevant because Yamaha wasnt trying to make the 09 better they were trying to create an all new bike. I may just be venting as I just purchased a 2010 and have never ridden an 09, but regardless they are both unique. All three supercross races of the season so far are an indication the 10 YZ is no better than the other bikes. Its all about personal preference now and days, all these bikes are so similar but also so different its whatever suits that rider. Drive down to Canada and well swap bikes for a day, then do a write up. :ride:

Magazines are worth whatever stock you put into them, but an opinion is an opinion, and one's often as good as another. But in the current TWMX, right before the "shootout", there's a comparison done by Nick Wey between his own '09 YZ450 race bike and a 2010 YZ450 with a load of GYT-R stuff (and totally stock suspension).

He was 2 seconds a lap faster on the 2010, and was quite impressed.

Anyone here ever ride a 09 yz 450 and 2010 yz 450 back to back? I did today at NEMX and I found very little difference between the two. My 09 has a DR D pipe, Radiators lowered and extensive work done on the carb. I thought that they rode very similar, but I sat on top of the 2010 like a KTM and down in on the 09. Otherwise, I thought they handled pretty much the same, power was close, and suspension felt close. My suspension oil was just changed and this was my first ride since-so my suspension was fresh from Enzo (no revalve, just fluid and parts changes and set up like stock-which I like) Mind you this was not my bike (2010), so it might not be set up for me. It may have tracked on a flat corner a tad better, but my tires had some time on them. Maybe I wasn't as aggressive on the 2010 either.hard to say.o

Only things I changed on my 2009 was pipe, carb and a lowering kit for the radiators. Everything else is the same(brakes, pads, sprocket sizes, springs, bars, etc.) I think that the bike felt smother(as in the frame felt like it absorbed small bumps through the foot pegs better) but other wise felt like a yamaha. It does growl through the filter intake when you are on it though!

Just my thoughts. Is 2500 bucks better than a 2009? I didn't think so, but it did look cool!! that pointy fender is boss!!

and did I mention it sounded mean?!!!

Anyhow, anyone else do what I did yet?

If you have been riding an 09 for a while, you are conditioned to do what the 09's limitations allow you to do, and you will be riding the '10 as if it were an 09.

The '10 can do anything the 09 can, but it doesnt stop there.

To truly find out, put the 09 away for a few weeks, and you will try different things, either by luck or by thinking of it. Only then you will see the possibilities of the '10.

Nobody can ride the '10 just once or twice and judge its performance.

I rode mine 2 times, and i believe i havent even seen half of what it can do yet, simply because its different than my09crf, and i dontknow what to try until i try it. like being on a journey without a map.

Magazines are worth whatever stock you put into them, but an opinion is an opinion, and one's often as good as another. But in the current TWMX, right before the "shootout", there's a comparison done by Nick Wey between his own '09 YZ450 race bike and a 2010 YZ450 with a load of GYT-R stuff (and totally stock suspension).

I saw that article, but I wanted real people who have tested the bikes back to back. Nick is way better than me, but he isn't your average weekend warrior. Plus the 2010 wasn't even close to stock. I wanted to compare a 2010 and 2009 bike that only had a few personal modifications done between the two.

If they are still around in April, I still am considering the 2010, but it looks like they will all be gone. If that is the case, I will get a leftover 2009. My dealer ordered many, got two so far and was told that was it. Guess I should have bought the bike when he told me 7100 dollars, which was close to his cost!

Thanks Grayracer!!

If you have been riding an 09 for a while, you are conditioned to do what the 09's limitations allow you to do, and you will be riding the '10 as if it were an 09.

The '10 can do anything the 09 can, but it doesnt stop there.

To truly find out, put the 09 away for a few weeks, and you will try different things, either by luck or by thinking of it. Only then you will see the possibilities of the '10.

Nobody can ride the '10 just once or twice and judge its performance.

I rode mine 2 times, and i believe i havent even seen half of what it can do yet, simply because its different than my09crf, and i dontknow what to try until i try it. like being on a journey without a map.

wow....sounds "magical"..like a disney cartoon...lol j/k

... the 2010 wasn't even close to stock.

Nor was the '09. That bike was a 56 hp beast with full $4K Joe Gibbs suspension customized specifically for Mr. Wey. The 2010 was closer to stock than that by a considerable margin. Pretty much the only power mods were the exhaust and the GYT-R head. If you look at the list of parts used, it was mostly stuff that doesn't really add performance, per se.

The part that was impressive was that the suspension was totally stock, and what he commented most favorably on was how the bike handled vs. his own.

I see guy's at the tracks around here that had 08,09 450's not only Yamaha's. That are going no faster on their new 2010 yz450. Definitely not the magic bullet and defiantly not 2 seconds a lap. I would love to see a back to back lap times of a new 09 with a zip ty mod. carb. and a 2010 yz450. Wonder witch would win? Mags will not do it, they to afraid to upset Yamaha.

I see guy's at the tracks around here that had 08,09 450's not only Yamaha's. That are going no faster on their new 2010 yz450. Definitely not the magic bullet and defiantly not 2 seconds a lap. I would love to see a back to back lap times of a new 09 with a zip ty mod. carb. and a 2010 yz450. Wonder witch would win? Mags will not do it, they to afraid to upset Yamaha.

The transworld article was just about like that except with Weys full mod 2009 race bike VS a gytr yz450.I really dont think they are making up lap times.

With all the innovation and technology, let alone all the R&D and engineers hired to create such a project, you think 2500 more over last years unchanged model is quite minor to say the least.

I disagree. However, when the 2011 is released this year that $2500 "early buy-in penalty" on the 2010 will disappear.

So does the DR D radiator lowering kit really help the handling of the front end??

As i said in my post, my bike with them seems to handle very similar to the 2010 Yamaha. If they help, I don't know, as I only broke my bike in with the stock exhaust. I think you have to have a Dr.D pipe to run the lowering kit. I know the stock pipe wouldn't clear the radiaters if they we lowered.

For what it's worth:

07 WR450 (yes, alum frame)

Unabiker Rad Guards

DrD Pipe

DrD Rad lowering kit.

All worked fine. I had to slightly modify the shroud/rad mounting hole.

However, the rad braces had one link that connects the two rad braces at the very top. This particular link goes through the cut out in the frame. The lowering kit meant I couldn't put this last part in for the braces. This has not been a problem as it has been crash and rock tested over the last two years. Now if I could find a brace to protect my nose and hand (broken last summer).

By the way, I noticed a big difference with the lowering kit.

Would I buy any of these parts again? Absolutely!

I know, it's a WR. But now that I have an '10 YZ449 I can write here! :ride:

I thoroughly enjoyed that article. They lap times don't lie. Nick Wey is a standup dude and hell of a nice guy. Besides what does he have to lose. Its not like he is an up and comer looking for a factory ride.

I thoroughly enjoyed that article. They lap times don't lie. Nick Wey is a standup dude and hell of a nice guy. Besides what does he have to lose. Its not like he is an up and comer looking for a factory ride.

oh no! you must be mistaken, all you need to do is get a dr. d radiator lowering kit and you the 09 becomes an '10!

*puke*

2010 yz450 runs the same lap times as the rest for the 450's and the 09 yz 450 is right in there too. That test should have been new stock 09 vs new 2010. Yamaha paid off twmx to get all you pumped on the 2010. Look at Dirt Rider lap times for the 450's, looks like you guys would have been better off buying a kawasuckme.

2010 yz450 runs the same lap times as the rest for the 450's and the 09 yz 450 is right in there too. That test should have been new stock 09 vs new 2010. Yamaha paid off twmx to get all you pumped on the 2010. Look at Dirt Rider lap times for the 450's, looks like you guys would have been better off buying a kawasuckme.

Well said!!

Thanks 4 STROKER. What you said in your two posts, and some PMs from others confirmed my belief that it isn't earth shattering. At least it is a better starting point than the 09 CRF 450 of last year that I nearly got. Some of you at least told the truth about it here, and unlike the mags, it wasn't the greatest of all time. So for that, I thank thumpertalk people in changing my decision from getting a CRF 450 and getting a YZ 450, which is about the best bike I have had.

It's a good bike, and it is cool looking, but it's not worth the 2500 more right now. With that said, I still will get one in April if they are available just because of the looks. And it performs at least as good as my 09 450, Which by the way is my favorite bike I ever had,!!( I have had alot since '76)

At least it is my favorite in recent memory. I am getting old.

I remember back in the day I had a Noleen engine in my 94 YZ 250. It might have worked for Larry Bird, but for me it made me slower. It was a 125 of steroids! I couldn't ride it as good as a stock 250. The bike had NO lowend. If this is what a top pro used, well more power to them. I bought another cylinder and head and sold the Noleen stuff to the Shop Manager. Point is, I think all the mods don't make the bike better all the time.

Just my two cents. Maybe Wey isn't a good test rider. I see he isn't riding a Yamaha in SX so maybe the article is about "fluff".

If the bike is such a winner to him, why didn't he park his KX?? Just a thought. I'm not pointing fingers.

I will stop posting on this subject.

Edited by honda907
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...