Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbwood

'06 front axle nut

8 posts in this topic

I only put 60lbs on them, and I replaced the aluminum with the older model steel ones. I have had two nuts bust from trying to use the manuals torque.

Just trying to see if people are really leaning on these nuts to 75#. Theres no way I could get close and not strip it out. Is it a bug deal to just snug it up and set the axle clamping bolts as advertised. How far back to get the steel ones?

Yes, the nut is aluminum, but I've never used a torque wrench on an axle nut that I can recall, and never had a problem with either stripped axle nuts or wheels coming loose. I check mine a while ago when this subject came up, and it looks like I end up setting them to around 50-60 ft/lb. I don't think it really needs to be tighter than that, but that's me.

But I do use a torque wrench on the nut at the steering stem, which is also aluminum, and that one is set at 105 ft/lb. Never had a problem there either.

That sounds more along the lines of what I'm finding. Thanks.

A bit of a digression or maybe a new thread but did find some weld splatter in the head tube. Stuck in the grease on the lower bearing. Give the whole thing a good cleaning before repacking.

Edited by cbwood