Idle with gas off before loading up???

When packing up from a ride the other day my friend started his bike and let it idle with the fuel petcock closed until the bike "ran out" of the fuel in the line and carb before loading it into the truck...

Is this a good thing to do? Why or Why not?

If you ride more than once every 6 weeks, it won't really matter much either way.

It only helps if you don't ride much (as gray said) because it gets all the fuel out of the carb and is supposed to help keep the carb from gumming up. It can make it a real biotch to restart though, as it takes a while to get fuel back into all the right places.

I let my bike sit for close to 4 weeks with an almost empty tank before this ride...Filled it with fresh gas the morning of this ride, and it was a major PITA to start, must have been like 30-40 kicks while trying every choke/hotstart/fuel combo, I was freaking exhausted before even starting to ride...Once she warmed up, went back to one kick starts...

Was just wondering if I had done the "run out of fuel" trick 4 weeks ago, would it have started easier?

every time im done riding i lay the bike over with the gas off while washing....on both sides essentially emptying the carb if its going to be more than say 2 weeks before im going to be able to ride...i drain the tank too....when im going riding the next time i simply fill the tank with fresh gas..turn on the gas....give it like 15-30 seconds to fill the carb bowl..give it 3 twists of the throttle...kick through slowly twice and then kick normally.. it starts the first of second kick ...if its cold like 40 degrees ill follow the same routine only with the choke knob pulled same thing starts in 1-2 kicks

i just rode the bike last weekend for the first time in 8-9 weeks...fresh pump gas and my routine and it fired right up...but ive had friends running vp u4..and the updated versions of it having issues with starting after 3-4 weeks of sitting...they didnt drain theirs ...so im not sure if that was the problem or not but they had a hell of a time starting theirs....

Edited by bendover932

[

i just rode the bike last weekend for the first time in 8-9 weeks...fresh pump gas and my routine and it fired right up...but ive had friends running vp u4..and the updated versions of it having issues with starting after 3-4 weeks of sitting...they didnt drain theirs ...so im not sure if that was the problem or not but they had a hell of a time starting theirs....

Just an fyi that vp will eat through the seals if it sits too long you may want to let your friends know. If you run race gas you should run pump gas through it if its going to sit for awhile.

So you just let the gas dump on the ground after a ride? Or do you make an effort to capture it?

I grab a t-handle and drain mine if I know its going to sit for awhile.... like this time of year for example.

So you just let the gas dump on the ground after a ride? Or do you make an effort to capture it?

Ummm yes, I just let it run out. By doing so, I know I could be responsible for the Earth changing course and driving us all towards the sun.... but its a risk I'm willing to take. :banghead:

I could be responsible for the Earth changing course and driving us all towards the sun.... but its a risk I'm willing to take. :banghead:
Too late. The Earth's orbit is already deteriorating. It's just a question of whether the Sun will exhaust itself enough to expand and engulf the planet before it crashes into it. Meantime, we have about 6-9 billion years during which we have to put up with your gasoline in the aquifers, so take it easy. :bonk:

My neighbor is a tree hugger. I like to wash my bike out on the deiveway where all the mud and dirt can wash down to the road. I do it where he can be sure to see. He told me one time I was destroying the planet, I told him I was just washing my bike. He came over when I first bought my bike, caught me lubing the chain. I thought he was going to have a stroke. When I change the oil I try not to spill any but if I see him watching me from his window, I always manage to spill some. I See him crying in that window sometimes. I hate hippies...PEACE!

I drain mine that way sometimes... SoCal gas gums up pretty quick... For some reason my trail bikes seem to get clogged easier/faster than my DS bikes... coincidence, or something about the jet sizes?

If I drain the float bowl manually in the garage, I catch it, and funnel through a filter... so if the earth gets off balance and hits the Sun, don't blame me

You don't have to be a tree hugger to know that draining the gas into the ground is pretty irresponsible.

Um hell no you know how expensive that crap is, I siphon the tank with a hand pump then refill with a little pump gas start my bike then run it for a minute..

Im not a tree hugger at all but I do believe just dumping it on the ground is ireesponsible, where do you think most drinking water comes from???

Im not a tree hugger at all but I do believe just dumping it on the ground is ireesponsible, where do you think most drinking water comes from???

I'll take a stab at this one.... maybe the ground? Right beside where the oil comes from.

Actually our local water comes from the Ohio river, the same place I use my boat.... and YES, I pee in the water which might be irresponsible since that is where we get our tap water from. :banghead:

Some of you guys are taking this a little far.... dumping a float bowl's worth of gas isn't harming anything.

OK, but if the Earth crashes into the Sun in 5 billion years instead of 6, we're going to blame you for it.

When packing up from a ride the other day my friend started his bike and let it idle with the fuel petcock closed until the bike "ran out" of the fuel in the line and carb before loading it into the truck...

Is this a good thing to do? Why or Why not?

sure, why not?

it saves you the starting hassles if you don't get back on it for awhile.

whether you run it dry or not, turning the fuel off also keeps the bumps in the road from jigglin' your float needle off its seat, overflowing fuel into the bed of your truck/trailer/whatever.

OK, but if the Earth crashes into the Sun in 5 billion years instead of 6, we're going to blame you for it.

And I will take full responsibility! :banghead:

I'll take a stab at this one.... maybe the ground? Right beside where the oil comes from.

Actually our local water comes from the Ohio river, the same place I use my boat.... and YES, I pee in the water which might be irresponsible since that is where we get our tap water from. :bonk:

Some of you guys are taking this a little far.... dumping a float bowl's worth of gas isn't harming anything.

Do what you want I could give a shit, all I was doing was giving advice to run out the race race and run pump for a minute or two.....

If you feel that peeing and dumping gas in your drinking water is your tough guy rebellion against the world go for it :banghead:

I emlty the bowls so gas doesn't leak into our enclosed trailer & stink it up