Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzzfin

Stupid Black Clutch Covers!

28 posts in this topic

Anyone found a solution for this... or found a better aftermarket cover? The black cover looks great until after the first ride! This is after about a year. What was Yamaha thinking?!

So, do I powdercoat? Replace? Live with it? Any thoughts?

casecover.jpg

It's a badge. Wear it proudly! :banghead:

Even the anodized ones look like crap once they get scratched. Clean it, paint it, call it a day. Scratch it again on the next ride. :bonk:

That doesn't look that bad IMO. Even the older bikes that didn't have the black covers get wear like that. If you really can't stand it, re-paint it and clear over the top, or get it powder coated.

The only real cure is to sand the paint off and polish it. You still have to keep up on it to keep it looking good, but it's not hard. You could also sandblast it and go with the dull gray look.

Just live with it...Just shows shes being ridden...

None of the guys riding with you care, and even chicks

don't like dirtbikes that are too bling...

I'm not even going to wash my bike for a while, since my girlfriend

said it was too pretty! Damn that comment hurt! lol

1 person likes this

I know a guy who took his in and had it professionally covered with bed liner spray, and it is black, with blue where it say's YAMAHA. It was reasonable as well...like 1/3 of one of those trick aftermarket ones, and it looks really nice.

I know a guy who took his in and had it professionally covered with bed liner spray, and it is black, with blue where it say's YAMAHA. It was reasonable as well...like 1/3 of one of those trick aftermarket ones, and it looks really nice.

was just going to suggest this...at ACE Hardware they sell a paint in bed liner that is tougher than Rhino Lining and you can apply yourself. They sell in quarts and gallons...I think the quart is around 20-30 dollars. It will never scuff or fade...i think it is called Herculiner

I went old school on mine, I like it better than scratches.

'09 cover......

09clutchcover.jpg

'83 cover.......

83clutchcover.jpg

This is what everybody used to do back in the day.

i always removed my covers and bead blasted the paint off and it ends up like myoungs..except i do the whole cover....it matches the rest of the cases this way..and after riding when washing i use a soapy sos pad on it and it looks like it did before i rode...never really understood the logic behind manufacturers painting the cover silver :banghead:..lol

I have a Boyesen cover on my new 09. Not sure how it will hold up

cid__0116001416.jpg

but I did this to my 09 KX250F: coated with Line-X. I don't think it will ever wear off!

100_0598.jpg

if I had some extra money to blow I'd go with the GYTR Clutch cover....

gyt-5xc35-10-al-500.jpg

while your at it throw some mothers polish on the frame looks nice!

Been there, done that. Way too much trouble to keep up. A little WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad when washing and you're good to go.

How are the powdercoated pieces holding up? I have heard that they still scratch and show wear(just a little slower)...

How are the powdercoated pieces holding up? I have heard that they still scratch and show wear(just a little slower)...

Powder will eventually look the same. It will last longer though.

Bead blasting it would last the longest since there is no paint/powder to rub off

If you go the powder coating route a small job shop with a batch oven would be the most economical...JMO

I had them do Silver Vein to the covers its baked on.Tough as nails!

Does the powdercoating rub off like the stock ones? or just rub off a little slower? Just wondering if its worth it to pay the money