1999 wr400f.

One of my mates has a 1999 wr400f. I have been putting the indicators and that back on for him, but they just don't seem to be working. I did all of this without a wiring diagram, so i just plugged stuff in and hoped it worked. Does anyone have an ADR wiring diagram or something that they could send me or something. Also the bike seems to have a lot of compression. Its kick start only, and i can't get a good enough kick to get it to fire. Is this normal for this bike, or is it something to be concerned about.

Thanks for any help.

Are u useing the decompresion lever theirs a procedure to make start easy,and for the electrical issue I think the 98, 99 they don't put enough wattage to light anything else

It doesn't fire when using the de-compression lever, but if someone can get a good kick from top dead centre it usually goes first kick. I just can't get enough of a kick to get it to fire from there.

It doesn't fire when using the de-compression lever, but if someone can get a good kick from top dead centre it usually goes first kick. I just can't get enough of a kick to get it to fire from there.

Had the same problem, bought a 1999 model and did not know how to start the animal. Had a buddy come over, works at a racing shop, and he did the following:

open fuel tap

put the bike on it's side and drained some fuel

pull cold start choke

we ran with the bike in 5th gear and popped the clutch, bike backfired

then got on the bike, pushed the kickstart down untill hard compression

pull the de-comp lever, and push kickstart further down 1-2 inches

release de-comp lever (with kickstart still in 1-2" position) and kicked the bike like you mean it. DO NOT TWIST THE TROTTLE AT ANY POINT.

Bike started with 1st kick. No problem since, hot or cold start.

This is a real newbie explanation, but it's the best I can describe it. And yes, I am a newbie at 4-stroke kick-start. Hope you come right.

Thanks for the input. Is there any way to get some more power through the electrical system. The bike is going in for a road worthy in a couple of months and it still needs a bit of work done to it.The indicators are a must.