2008 Yamaha YZ450f

I have a 08 YZ450 and have always had problems with the turning of the bike in corners. I remember seeing some where that a certain mm offset top triple clamp will help this trouble but cant remember what it was. Any suggestions?

Yep, a few mm makes a huge difference.

I presume your rear sag is set and the bike is properly sprung? As you know a tiny change to sag will affect the front a lot more.

Anyway, glad to read you're happy with the turning. The 08 is a great cornering bike!

I played with the fork height a little, but ended up leaving them right where the groove lined up with the top of the clamp. I'm slightly tall at 6'2". I changed to a Windam bar. I also changed the front tire to a D952 and went to a 110 instead of a 120 in the rear when the stock one was worn out. My sag was fine, so I left it alone. I think the different bars help me get forward a little more and keep my elbows up better. The 110 tire in the rear is probably just mental, but I feel like I can lay it over better. The stock front tire sucks, IMO.

You can take this for what it is worth. The testing was done on a 2007 so may not be apples to oranges, but they were trying to improve turning by changing tripple clamp offset.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=3FAC33F2776943B696D7B09F282347AD

Here is my setup and it rocks so far. Super stable for me. It does step out but its mellow enough to deal with. I naturally sit as far forward as posible, the my legs on the shrouds. Elbows up.

952's front and back. Would like to go to MX51's when these die. I put the 120 size rear on but its larger than the stock 120. I think I will go down to 110 on the next tire.

Sag is 97mm.

Windam Bars.

Top grove in forks even with top of clamp.

Rear axel all the way back. Just forward enough to keep the chain slack right

You can take this for what it is worth. The testing was done on a 2007 so may not be apples to oranges, but they were trying to improve turning by changing tripple clamp offset.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=3FAC33F2776943B696D7B09F282347AD

I have talked to quite a few that said there was a big improvement in the handling of the 08 vs the 07. I know after some suspension tuning and setting my sag mine turns about 5 times better than my 04 ever dreamed of.

Sounded like the 08 is suffering from the same problems as the 07. I haven't rode an 07 but have an 08 and see the same issues. I struggle in loose hardpack where I'm afraid to commit to leaning in and carrying much speed. Body position is very important in those situations as stated before. If I'm getting decent traction I rarely get beat out of a corner. I'm working with Dave J to get my suspension set up correctly and getting a steering damper to hopefully improve confidence in some lower traction situations.