Easiest ways to lighten '10 450

Stop eating junk and exercise more.....hmm the least costly alternative :banghead:

Since the 10 YZ weighs 12-13 pounds more than a stock CRF450, I would say there is plenty of room in there to shave weight without needing to worry about reliability.

Maybe? just Honda hasen't found that right combination yet.

Since the 10 YZ weighs 12-13 pounds more than a stock CRF450, I would say there is plenty of room in there to shave weight without needing to worry about reliability.

lighter feel is what we after not numbers, i think that yamaha got it aswell.

2010 yz 450 weight more then the 09, but from what i read it feels just the opposite (lighter) when you actully ride it. not sure how it compare to the 12 pounds lighter crf tho.

less weight dosnt change much, its the weight position that will make wonders.

Edited by husqy360
spelling
Maybe? just Honda hasen't found that right combination yet.

What issue is Honda having that is related to the weight of the bike? From what I've read it rips, you just need to throw some cash at the suspension.

lighter feel is what we after not numbers, i think that yamaha got it aswell.

2010 yz 450 weight more then the 09, but from what i read it feels just the opposite (lighter) when you actully ride it. not sure how it compare to the 12 pounds lighter crf tho.

less weight dosnt change much, its the weight position that will make wonders.

If you are happy with the current weight or feel, then you wouldn't be worried about lightening up the bike right? It doesn't have to be one way or the other. With the 10 YZ you are starting off with the weight better positioned/ balanced, with this in mind the bike should handle even better after being put on a diet.

There is a lot of weight on every mass produced dirt bike that can be shed without any negative results. That extra weight isn't there because it was needed, it is there because it was cheaper for the bike to be produced that way. You can bet that every top race team that is running a 10 YZ450 has worked hard to shed as much weight as possible.

If you are happy with the current weight or feel, then you wouldn't be worried about lightening up the bike right? It doesn't have to be one way or the other. With the 10 YZ you are starting off with the weight better positioned/ balanced, with this in mind the bike should handle even better after being put on a diet.

There is a lot of weight on every mass produced dirt bike that can be shed without any negative results. That extra weight isn't there because it was needed, it is there because it was cheaper for the bike to be produced that way. You can bet that every top race team that is running a 10 YZ450 has worked hard to shed as much weight as possible.

we all agree that lighter is better. top race team money with lots of ti carbon and machine work is the answer then :banghead:

What issue is Honda having that is related to the weight of the bike? From what I've read it rips, you just need to throw some cash at the suspension.

Busted cases,and a clutch thats not even good for 85cc bike

we all agree that lighter is better. top race team money with lots of ti carbon and machine work is the answer then :banghead:

Ummmmm you sure???? seen a lot of pics of factory bikes on here.

I dont care who you are and what you say, some things just aint worth the cost. If you can gain HP and lose weight by changing a pipe, then great. but to walk through and nit pick every little thing is more then silly (being nice). Also those bikes are rebuilt after every race weekend. To think that one of us could do that is again... silly. Learn to move your weight around, get in the gym, any full grown man should be able to bench his own weight. Run, workout, eat good and work on good form. I understand this bike is heavy on paper but so is a bullet train.... it was made to work. Save your money on tires, from the sounds of it, everyone will be need lots of those with this torque monster.

I'm not against saving weight, but only if it make a diff at some point. Everyone knows the 2010 corners much better then the -09 so what is the point of this weight loss? The -09 bikes where lighter ... sry i just dont get this

... to walk through and nit pick every little thing is more then silly
To each, his own.

I had a '72 CZ 380 back in the day that weighed 240+ wet with a dry fuel tank. I walked through and nitpicked every little thing and in the end, the bike weighed 224 with no titanium or carbon fiber involved. And yes, it made a difference.

Such a thing would be much more difficult and expensive to accomplish with a modern MX bike, what with the vastly superior way in which they are built, but all the same, there is weigh to be removed.

As far as the point of it all, it's inarguable that a lighter bike is faster and better handling, all other things being equal. If you're satisfied with yours as it is, don't concern yourself with it.

1) pipe/silencer feels heavy when removing subframe. lighter pipe

2) choose the lighter weight tires. (someone did a whole listing in the crf450 forum)

3)shock feels really heavy when removed from bike(whats the remedy?)

4) 1/2 lb lighter triple clamps(applied, ride eng. etc)

5) i noticed a lot of rough edges, sharp edges and extra tabs on the frame, motor that might be grounded off?

6)ti spring would save weight, but too$$$

so far i think that would be about 10 lbs?

highly doubt you will notice 10lbs on the new 450's

Busted cases,and a clutch thats not even good for 85cc bike

Where exactly are you seeing this? I'm not seeing either of these even remotely being the norm over on the CRF450 board here at TT.

highly doubt you will notice 10lbs on the new 450's

I disagree.