HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrubba

Easiest ways to lighten '10 450

32 posts in this topic

1) pipe/silencer feels heavy when removing subframe. lighter pipe

2) choose the lighter weight tires. (someone did a whole listing in the crf450 forum)

3)shock feels really heavy when removed from bike(whats the remedy?)

4) 1/2 lb lighter triple clamps(applied, ride eng. etc)

5) i noticed a lot of rough edges, sharp edges and extra tabs on the frame, motor that might be grounded off?

6)ti spring would save weight, but too$$$

so far i think that would be about 10 lbs?

1) pipe/silencer feels heavy when removing subframe. lighter pipe

2) choose the lighter weight tires. (someone did a whole listing in the crf450 forum)

3)shock feels really heavy when removed from bike(whats the remedy?)

4) 1/2 lb lighter triple clamps(applied, ride eng. etc)

5) i noticed a lot of rough edges, sharp edges and extra tabs on the frame, motor that might be grounded off?

so far i think that would be about 10 lbs?

I am going to drop 15 pounds off my fat ass.that should do it

I am going to drop 15 pounds off my fat ass.that should do it

No kidding, I am in the same boat.

You better be ripped if you are concerned with knocking off 2lbs with a bunch of add-ons. I could skip my morning pancakes and get that.

there are plenty of OEM ti springs for sale and cheap, if you fall into the weight range of the stock spring.

The stock pipe is 7# 15oz . you can lose over 2 # there .w a Ti system. The older kyb T i springs will not fit as those shocks were 46 mm piston the new one is a 50. A used Ti spring for a showa may work. Don't buy Ti bolt kits Too much $$$ mettec has close out Ti bolts figure out what you need. they are tapered head allen.If your wanting less fork off set applied clamps in the past have saved 1/2 # or so . Don't install a crazy graphics kit those are fairly heavy.. all said and done the difference is mostly mental. I took about 8# off an 07 honda ,Not sure if I could tell.Ps I have a 5.6kg Renton Ti spring for the 09 & older yz's.If any body needs one Jeff

The older kyb T i springs will not fit as those shocks were 46 mm piston the new one is a 50.

good info...the new issue of MXA was saying that it would fit

why take off weight of the bike when you could just take weight off yourself for free? And if you do it while riding, you are killing two birds with one stone. you get seat time and loss of weight

why take off weight of the bike when you could just take weight off yourself for free? And if you do it while riding, you are killing two birds with one stone. you get seat time and loss of weight

this is a gross misconception. the only time your weight truly matters is when

you apply it positively to the bike, and when your butt is glued to the seat.

however, when you unweight, the bike becomes the medium to act and react to its own weight. this is what we are trying to improve on, not your glutonous grossiosity!

this is what we are trying to improve on, not your glutonous grossiosity!
Don't you mean "gargantuous gluteus"?

It's fair to say there's an advantage to doing both. Every time you pick your self up off the seat, you lift your weight, and you support it all the while you stand. When you are lighter, you have more expendable energy to maneuver the bike's weight.

The tubliss system looks like a great way to save weight.

From their website: http://tubliss.com/

TUbliss® also provides a weight savings of up to 3 pounds per <a href='https://www.thumpertalk.com/link/click/4489/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4489' data-ipsHover target='_blank'>wheel <i class='fa fa-external-link'></i></a> which instantly translates into less rotating weight and increases acceleration. Less unsprung weight allows significant suspension performance gains. Experts say that eliminating a pound of rotating unsprung weight is equivalent to dropping 5 pounds of static weight!

In one of the later Dirt Rider magazines FMF built a sub 200 lb KTM 300 with the Tubliss system installed. The actual weight saved was about 1/2 lb per wheel. It was not as much as I expected as I had read a decent amount about the Tubliss system. I'm not sure where NueTech gets its info to say almost 3 pounds per wheel but that sounds like a bit more than actual users are saving.

Weight weenies for MX... really??? This is something you see all the time with mountain bikes but didnt really expect it here. Anyhow, in mountain biking it is the rotational mass that is the most important to drop weight and body fat. Reason being is that both are working against you. So at what point do you feel that you could really us 5lbs less working against you in MX??? Point being you are going to spend a lot of money on something that really is going to change nothing. MX its about conditioning body position and seat time.... point blank. If you want a light bike get a 125.

Tubeless is good though, for low psi.

Since both my inner tubes together weigh less than 3 pounds, and the Tubliss system does not weigh nothing, I say BS.

It does say up to 3 lbs, which I do not doubt with the heavy duty tubes being run off-road where the tubliss is primarily marketed towards.

In one of the later Dirt Rider magazines FMF built a sub 200 lb KTM 300 with the Tubliss system installed. The actual weight saved was about 1/2 lb per wheel. It was not as much as I expected as I had read a decent amount about the Tubliss system. I'm not sure where NueTech gets its info to say almost 3 pounds per wheel but that sounds like a bit more than actual users are saving.

If you believe their claims, the 1lb of total weight savings on that KTM300 would be equal to 5lbs of static weight.

If you believe their claims, the 1lb of total weight savings on that KTM300 would be equal to 5lbs of static weight.

What's not to believe? It sounds like Nuetech is the one exaggerating things. I was actually disappointed to read the actual weight as I was hoping the Tubliss system to be the next best thing since sliced bread. I guess 1/2 pound is still 1/2 pound though and you do have the advantage of lower air pressure and more protection from flats.

What's not to believe? It sounds like Nuetech is the one exaggerating things. I was actually disappointed to read the actual weight as I was hoping the Tubliss system to be the next best thing since sliced bread. I guess 1/2 pound is still 1/2 pound though and you do have the advantage of lower air pressure and more protection from flats.

I was referring to the claim below:

"Experts say that eliminating a pound of rotating unsprung weight is equivalent to dropping 5 pounds of static weight!"

The 1/2 pound at each wheel as mentioned KTM300 would be 5 lbs total of static weight per the claim above, MXA claimed 1 1/2 pounds on their rear wheel alone. As far as the "up to 3lbs per wheel" claim, I believe that is certainly possible, but only for someone that is already running one of the many "super heavy duty" off-road tires to prevent flats. If you are a desert racer then it very well could be the next best thing since sliced bread, I am not however.

From MXA:

WHAT IS IT?

The Nuetech TUbliss (pronounced Tubeless) tire system is a winner of an idea.

WHAT'S IT COST?

$99.99 (with inner liner and install plate)--(714) 412-3270.

WHAT'S IT DO?

You may remember Nuetech’s unusual bent handlebar end pieces. The MXA wrecking crew wasn’t totally enamored with Nuetech’s A.P.E. bar ends, but we absolutely love their latest creation—the TUbliss tire system.

Tubeless motocross tires have been around for 20 years (on works bikes), but they have never seen the cash register side of a motorcycle shop. Why? Making a tubeless motocross tire was too complicated. It required a special rim (to keep the air lock tight), a rubber sealing bladder (to eliminate leakage around the spoke nipples) and messy sealant (to keep sidewall flex from burping air pressure). The problem areas were so numerous that most companies shelved the idea of tubeless motocross tires—except for Nuetech!

WHAT STANDS OUT?

Here's a list of things that stand out with Nuetech’s TUbliss tire system.

(1) Problem areas. Jeff Douglas solved the problems that stymied Dunlop by applying innovative thinking. Instead of using a special rim, rubber bladder and tacky sealant, the TUbliss tire system makes any existing rim and tire combination tubeless without all the extra foof.

(2) The concept. In the simplest terms, instead of trying to seal the rim to keep air in the tire, Nuetech sealed the gap between the two tire beads with a special rubber inner liner (which is a fancy way of saying bicycle tire). You read that right! By putting a one-off bicycle tire in the center of the rim and inflating it, the gap at the bottom of the tire is sealed, making the tire an airtight chamber (sans a tube). It turns the outer tire into the motocross equivalent of a bicycle’s tubular sew-up tire.

(3) Pluses. This is a great idea for three reasons: first, without a tube inside the tire, the Nuetech-equipped wheel is 1-1/2 pounds lighter than a stock wheel. Saving a pound and a half of rotating, unsprung weight is awesome, phenomenal and unbelievable. Second, even if you get a sidewall tear, you can ride the Nuetech TUbliss tire flat. We raced a full moto on a flat tire. Although the bike didn’t handle very well, we finished the moto with the tire on the rim. Third, without the weight and friction of the tube rubbing against the tire carcass, tire temperatures were greatly reduced (which means that tire pressure doesn’t increase as much during the course of a moto).

(4) Minuses. There aren’t any downsides on the track. Every test rider commented on how responsive the suspension and engine were with 1-1/2 pounds removed from the rear wheel. When you add the performance advantages to the lighter weight, run-flat capabilities and heat reduction, you have a product that should be on every race bike in America.

WHAT'S THE SQUAWK?

There is a learning curve to mounting the TUbliss tire system, but it is easily mastered. Over a three-month period, we ran three sets of TUbliss tires and never had a problem.

But back on subject, the OP was asking for ways to shave weight on the '10 YZ450, this is one currently available option that isn't very expensive. I don't care to debate the merits of it anymore.

Weight weenies for MX... really??? This is something you see all the time with mountain bikes but didnt really expect it here. Anyhow, in mountain biking it is the rotational mass that is the most important to drop weight and body fat. Reason being is that both are working against you. So at what point do you feel that you could really us 5lbs less working against you in MX??? Point being you are going to spend a lot of money on something that really is going to change nothing. MX its about conditioning body position and seat time.... point blank. If you want a light bike get a 125.

Tubeless is good though, for low psi.

true,

lighter is the game for mountain bikes and they do break alot beacuse of that.

not sure if its the right road for motorcycles as parts need to be alot stronger and durable for many years.

the new yz450f actully gain some weight while becoming a better bike?. :banghead:

true,

lighter is the game for mountain bikes and they do break alot beacuse of that.

not sure if its the right road for motorcycles as parts need to be alot stronger and durable for many years.

the new yz450f actully gain some weight while becoming a better bike?. :banghead:

Since the 10 YZ weighs 12-13 pounds more than a stock CRF450, I would say there is plenty of room in there to shave weight without needing to worry about reliability.