Start clutch and Motor are Grinding

After changing my stator my e start will not work. when i hit the button it sounds like the starter and clutch are grinding against each other. Is this the case or did the starter clutch go out? The motor is not turning over during all of this. Some people have said its the side cause and that I need a new one. They said the case could be warped and the gears are not lining up. Other said the clutch is bad. HALP.

If you are sure that the gears were lined up properly when you reassembled it, I would bet on the clutch being bad.

A few years ago I had to replace my stator. When I put everything back together I did not seat the gears together correctly, and it made a whining sound due to the gears spinning against each other. I opened it back up and fixed my mistake. Started right up!

If you are sure that the gears were lined up properly when you reassembled it, I would bet on the clutch being bad.

A few years ago I had to replace my stator. When I put everything back together I did not seat the gears together correctly, and it made a whining sound due to the gears spinning against each other. I opened it back up and fixed my mistake. Started right up!

Please explain what you mean? How can you put it in wrong? Once the cap is on I dont see how it could be in there wrong.