Who has replaced clutch in 99 WR?

If it is not one thing, it is another. I believe my clutch is starting to go. Anyone replace theirs yet? Did you replace the plates only? Or did you go for the Hinson set up. I've heard it would be best to stay with OEM parts. Which are, suprisingly, not that more expensive than an after market clutch set lie EBC. I really don't want to go with a Hinson basket, pressure plate or hub unless I need new ones.

Doug, Ive never replaced mine yet. I thought about doing it once but thought better of spending $200 for nothing.

If I ever have to do it, Im going with OEM. Better than aftermarket and I doubt you would get your moneys worth out of a Hinson basket.

As a matter of fact, you probably wont even have to replace the stock basket unless the fingers have worn grooves from the plates. Its one of those things you never know about untill after you look at it.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was leaning on staying OEM. If I do need to replace the basket, hub or pressure plate because of wear and tear, the entire thing was around $375 for OEM (only $120 for the plates alone). That is $400 less than a Hinson setup, which I can't justify for any reason.

Hey Doug. I just replaced the clutch in my 99 yz400. The clutch wasn't slipping yet. But the clutch engagment was when the clutch lever was all the way out. It just diddn't fel right. I tried adjusting the cable at the lever and at the motor but couldn't get it too feel right. I took my plates out and measured them. They were way outta spec.

I replaced mine with a EBC friction plate kit and springs. I paid $54 for plates and springs (I got a good deal).

Its easy to install a clutch. Just follow the manual and you shouldn't have any problems.

That is good to hear YZman as I am going to attempt this myself. However, I'm hoping I can get away without doing this until after my trip to Moab on Memorial Weekend. But I am also thinking of bying a clutch plate set and taking it with me in case the thing goes out while on my trip. I'd hate to get out there then have to sit for three days while everyone else rides.

You don't need any special tools to do this do you?

Dougie,

Clutches are so easy, you may just want to replace your plates/springs BEFORE you go. You should soak your friction plates in oil before installing them. Be sure you use the same oil you run in your bike.

You don't need any special tools to do this do you?

There is one special tool you need if I recall. (someone back me on this) If you need to remove your basket you need a special tool to hold the basket in place while removing the retaining nut. At least this is how it was on my old XR600.

I had a bud take one of my old steel plates and weld a 3" metal handle on it. Works as good as the special tool you can buy. ?

Its super easy to install.

1. Drain the oil (or lay the bike on its LH side so you are looking at the rh side of the bike. This will let all the oil settle on the lh side of the motor and it wont spill out when you remove the clutch cover)

2. Remove the clutch cover

3. Remove the 5 bolts that hold the springs in place.

4. Remove the springs.

5. Remove the pressure plate.

6. Remove the clutch friction plates and the steel plates. (pay attention to how they came out)

7. Soak your new friction plates in oil.

8. Install the new friction plates. I think you go friction / metal / friction / metal and so on.

Note: there is one friction plate that is different than the rest. This plate is the last one that is installed. It has a different inside dimension and thickness.

9. install the pressure plate. There is an arrow on the pressure plate and a mark on the clutch hub. You must line them up.

10. Install the springs and bolts and tighten to spec. DO NOT over tighten the bolts. They are soft and can break.

11. Reinstall the cover.

12. Stand bike up or fill with oil.

13. Adjust the clutch cable freeplay and you are done.

I always replace the springs. If they are the origional springs in your bike you'd better. They get week over time. On my old Banshee I used to install washers between the bolts and washers. This puts more pressure on the pressure plate. It also makes for a really stiff clutch pull. But the clutch wouldn't slip. That thing ate clutches.

Once you get it back together give her hell. No break in required that I know of.

Ya might want to take some mild sandpaper and scuff up the metal plates. It helps give the friction plates a little more bite. I think that there is a spec in the manual for the metal plate. Put them on a sheet of glass and see if there is any gaps under the plate. If there is then the metal plates are warped and need to be replaced. Again the manual has specs on what is acceptible.

Also b4 installing the friction plated put them in a large ziplock bag or tray and cover them in oil and let them sit maybe overnight. I really dont know what this does. But I know you are supposed to do it.