2009 WR450F setup / observations

took delivery of my 450 last weekend, and finally got a chance to put all my junk on it tonight.

1st pass at free mods:

throttle stop - done

gray wire - will do this weekend (we ran out of time last night)

AIS - not planning to modify (open to feedback if peoples experience show that this is a bad idea)

airbox - not planning to modify (open to feedback if peoples experience show that this is a bad idea)

1st pass at VERY non-free mods:

FMF Q4 S/A pipe (I wish RockyMountain carried the Titanium version, that is the one i should have gotten)

FMF Titanium megabomb header

FMF jet kit

No Toil Super-Flo Air Filter Kit

i can honestly say that i can't believe that this is the same bike after the changes. i LOVE it, can't wait to get it hollister to truly shake it down.

doing a quick search, i wonder if anyone else in Northern California has a similar setup to mine, and has also not modified their AIS/air-box, with good results?

finally, i thought i got a good deal, but after seeing all the insane prices here, i'm feeling like i got robbed... :banghead:

Edited by drick

If the all the exhaust popping from the AIS starts to drive you crazy it's very simple to disable it yet leave it visually intact.

is the popping in the form of backfire upon deceleration, or does it happen all the time? as i have no hours on the bike yet, i can't comment yet.

Edited by drick

Adding to the fork input, make sure your rear sag is properly set if not done so already: http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm

What bike did you come from before the 09 WRF?

i assume that this applies to the stock setup as well as the yz shock/springs that free_Australia mentions, right?

if that question is for me, i've been off dirt bikes for about 15 years, the last dirt bike i had was an xr500 back in the day. i've been riding my raptor for the last 5 years with my family, but all my buddies have been hard assing me to get off training wheels and step it up.

so here i am

is the popping in the form of backfire upon deceleration, or does it happen all the time? as i have no hours on the bike yet, i can't comment yet.

It will be on decel when the manifold vacuum opens the AIS valve. It's pretty annoying but doesn't cause any harm.

the best non free mod was 06 yz forks twin chamber type worth every cent i tryed getting the stock forks to work better but the yz forks so much better i tend to ride more mx so thats where yz forks stand out i still found they are really good on endro riding as well

so i finally got to take it out and ride it today, and the stock suspension is either set up horribly wrong, or it's defective.

riding at hollister today on the green trails, i was "jumping" the speed bumps on the trails. the front forks feel like there is solid steel in there with no suspension give. it seriously was rattling my teeth every time the front wheel came down.

i may need to get the yz forks as you suggest if this is how the bike rides

If the all the exhaust popping from the AIS starts to drive you crazy it's very simple to disable it yet leave it visually intact.

we did the gray wire today before the ride, and even with ais and stock airbox no popping, ran great

the best non free mod was 06 yz forks twin chamber type worth every cent i tryed getting the stock forks to work better but the yz forks so much better i tend to ride more mx so thats where yz forks stand out i still found they are really good on endro riding as well

free_rider,

do the forks you mention above bolt right on (i.e. i replace the stock ones with these)? if so, is 2006 the only year that will work, or will any year bolt on to my 2009?

free_rider,

do the forks you mention above bolt right on (i.e. i replace the stock ones with these)? if so, is 2006 the only year that will work, or will any year bolt on to my 2009?

i have a 07 wr450 i think the 09 is exactly the same only cosmetic changes the forks bolt straight on no mods the only thing is the speedo cable spacer will rotate when you do the axle nut up you also use the standard spacers

still the best worth while mod i got them off ebay $400 i think

yz450f forks 06,07 will go on no mods

yz450f forks 08,09 require new brake caliper but will still fit i think

yz250f forks should fit but you will need new springs

i have a 07 wr450 i think the 09 is exactly the same only cosmetic changes the forks bolt straight on no mods the only thing is the speedo cable spacer will rotate when you do the axle nut up you also use the standard spacers

still the best worth while mod i got them off ebay $400 i think

yz450f forks 06,07 will go on no mods

yz450f forks 08,09 require new brake caliper but will still fit i think

yz250f forks should fit but you will need new springs

check out this thread and let me know what you think

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866692

check out this thread and let me know what you think

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866692

before i got the yz forks i tried some ohlins they where fantastic i did revalve the base valve mainly for bottoming out these forks where fantastic for off road and ok on mx (would bottom out on some jumps)

the wr forks are almost a exact copy of ohlins enduro forks you may be able to get them to work in one of the posts they say to get daves kit and oil and this makes a big diffrenace i have noticed very good reports about his products and service http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

the wr forks are very crude and basic cant match the newer twin chamber forks

before i got the yz forks i tried some ohlins they where fantastic i did revalve the base valve mainly for bottoming out these forks where fantastic for off road and ok on mx (would bottom out on some jumps)

the wr forks are almost a exact copy of ohlins enduro forks you may be able to get them to work in one of the posts they say to get daves kit and oil and this makes a big diffrenace i have noticed very good reports about his products and service http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

the wr forks are very crude and basic cant match the newer twin chamber forks

thanks for the info, i'm looking forward to seeing how much magic dave can bring out of the stockers before i go for a complete swap to yzf forks. based on what he and some other shops said, i would have to do the spring / revalve on the yzf forks anyways so i'd be paying twice as much.

as an aside, every shop i talked to commented on the high quality of the stock WR forks, interested to hear why you are not so hot for them? i assume it's because you are and advanced motocross guy, and need every ounce of performance or something like that?

1st pass at free mods:

throttle stop - done

gray wire - will do this weekend (we ran out of time last night)

AIS - not planning to modify (open to feedback if peoples experience show that this is a bad idea)

airbox - not planning to modify (open to feedback if peoples experience show that this is a bad idea)

1st pass at VERY non-free mods:

FMF Q4 S/A pipe (I wish RockyMountain carried the Titanium version, that is the one i should have gotten)

FMF Titanium megabomb header

FMF jet kit

No Toil Super-Flo Air Filter Kit

2nd pass at VERY non-free mods:

SPI complete suspension overhaul (phase 4 kit, springs, and re-valve)

Acerbis Rally-Pro handguards

Richochet skid-plate

+ gray wire we did last week

i think this will about do it for a while, now it's time to go ride the hell out of this thing

Edited by drick

i wonder if anyone else in Northern California has a similar setup to mine, and has also not modified their AIS/air-box

Not quite the same setup but, I've got the 09 YZ exhaust system W/ AIS intact, No popping on decel now. With the stock system, I practically sharted myself the 1st time it popped. Crazy loud shot gun sound. Since the upgraded exhaust, no pops and lot's of power everywhere.

Drick - Where else do you ride besides Hollister? We are getting pounded rain wise as you most likely are too. I'm thinking CC and Cow will be closed by the weekend due to run off and no time to absorb.

Not quite the same setup but, I've got the 09 YZ exhaust system W/ AIS intact, No popping on decel now. With the stock system, I practically sharted myself the 1st time it popped. Crazy loud shot gun sound. Since the upgraded exhaust, no pops and lot's of power everywhere.

Drick - Where else do you ride besides Hollister? We are getting pounded rain wise as you most likely are too. I'm thinking CC and Cow will be closed by the weekend due to run off and no time to absorb.

yeah, we are getting KILLED by rain this week.

i ride a lot up at StonyFord and in Tahoe, but am looking to expand out to more local / semi-local places now that i'm more mobile. we had to load up our toy hauler every time we wanted to ride before, now i can haul the quad for the wife and the bike for me in the back of truck.

thanks for the info, i'm looking forward to seeing how much magic dave can bring out of the stockers before i go for a complete swap to yzf forks. based on what he and some other shops said, i would have to do the spring / revalve on the yzf forks anyways so i'd be paying twice as much.

as an aside, every shop i talked to commented on the high quality of the stock WR forks, interested to hear why you are not so hot for them? i assume it's because you are and advanced motocross guy, and need every ounce of performance or something like that?

i used the yz forks stock all i done was serviced them and set every thing to stock oil levels and clikers the wr is a heaver bike than the yz i found that the springs seemed about right i ride offroad and mx i guy with a 09 wr rode mine a commeneted how good is was compared to his and we had serviced his forks too may i am too fussy the stock wr forks are a old design

it interresting that the ohlins forks are almost the same and i got the to work great i was very happy with them

so i reckon if the phase 4 kit is as good as people say it should work as good if not better than the ohlins

i am only a average rider but like jumps the wr is even ok on freestyle ramp just a bit heavy

had a 03 wr250f which has similer design forks as the 450 i got the 250 forks to work great with no mods i just was not happy with the 450 forks

good luck i will be interested how much diffrence the fork mods make

i hope yamaha bring out the wr version of the 2010 yz450f that would be the ultimate they are so good

I have an 08, same bike as the 09. Same basic mods you have, fmf pipe/header, ais removed, and all the free mods. The exhaust made an amazing difference in performance. You should remove the snorkel from the intake if you haven't done that yet. It's under the seat by the battery. The suspension was dangerous stock. Why they sell a bike set up so soft amazes me. I had ESP revalve/spring for my weight/skill and desert riding and it transformed the bike. Lots of companies out there that can do similar work. I don't see the point in changing to yz suspension. My sons revalved yz450 suspension works no better than mine now.