Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trigger1911

Time to buy a WR450 but which one!

9 posts in this topic

I found a 2004 WR450 for $2000.00. What were the main differences in the 450 for different years? I do not know much about them but I do know I dont like my DRZ400 land barge! Whats with the hot start button thing anyway?

What were the main differences in the 450 for different years?

98-00 steal frame kick start 400

01/02 steal frame kick start 426

03-06 steal frame and electric start 450

07+ aluminum frame and electric start 450

Also try the search....this topic has been discussed hundreds of times :banghead:

Edited by 123BigcoopDawg576

I read the Stickys and got some great info. I think I am more concerned about starting a hot motor. Any problems with the 04's in this regards?

The '03's and newer are sweet to start (in general) since they have auto-decomp. There's a bit of a routine to starting an older hot WR, but once you have it down, it's no big deal. No specific problem with the '04 in this area that I know of.

Not sure if you answered part of the first question yourself in the stickeys: The hot start button (lever) lets some extra air in so a hot bike isn't so rich when starting. My '09 hot-starts like this: pull the hot start lever, hit the electric start, if it doesn't fire right away, grab a little throttle to open the throttle bore a bit. Starts every time. Kicking it sucks (only 'cause I'm spoiled), but isn't any worse than hot-starting a YZ.

The '03's and newer are sweet to start (in general) since they have auto-decomp.

Plus with electric start and a hot start buttom...all you do is wait for the bike to start :bonk::banghead::ride:

98/99 steal frame kick start 400

00/01 steal frame kick start 426

Also try the search....this topic has been discussed hundreds of times :banghead:

I never new they didn't make a WR in 2002... looks like it will be the same for 2010

98/99 steal frame kick start 400

00-02 steal frame kick start 426

2000 was still a 400 but had the new carb forks etc.